Jonny-Jimbo

Morning all,

I was looking at one of my spare engines the other day and I noticed that when the PO was trying to remove the front pulley they broke the rim on it where the belt runs. I assume they were using a three legged pulled on it.

Anyway, I was wondering, does anyone do aluminium ones? I'm planning on rebuilding the engine as a 'go faster' one, but not a 'race' engine. Figured as it needs changing anyway, I may as well put an aluminium one on if they're available.

If not, would anyone be interested if I arranged production of them?

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
It's a Mk3 spit engine, so small crank.

One of my mates runs a machine shop, so if I buy material he often does small runs for me without charging too much for the labour.

Might look into it if I can get example of all the front pulleys.

Which particular bit are you thinking of making? If it's the pulley/damper then on the long-stroke engines it's actually useful to have a bit of weight there as it damps vibrations...

Don't forget the front seal runs on the pulley, so aluminium here may wear quickly? Maybe you could use one of those repair sleeves where the seal runs.

For my 1300 fwd I made a titanium hub which takes a aluminium drive pulley. Just the hub and pulley weigh 520grm plus a bit for nuts and bolts.
It's probably a bit OTT but it's what I do 😉

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Hmm, that's true actually, on the bigger engines they are 'dampers' not just pulleys...

Still, might have a look at doing 4 pot ones.

Sell them as a set of three? Second to replace the first when the keyway wears and the third to put on as you look for an original replacement when the second has had it?

Quoted from Slimboyfat

Really? On a three bearing crank?

Triumph added weight to the steel pulley on the race engines.

Dave

I don't think he said how big he was intending to make them.....

I wonder if it would be beneficial to have the front pulley weighing the same as the flywheel??

You could radically lighten the flywheel and still have the same rotating mass that way. My basic physics says it would also be better balanced, less harmonics perhaps.

Call in an expert!!!

Quoted from That Man
Don't forget the front seal runs on the pulley, so aluminium here may wear quickly? Maybe you could use one of those repair sleeves where the seal runs.

For my 1300 fwd I made a titanium hub which takes a aluminium drive pulley. Just the hub and pulley weigh 520grm plus a bit for nuts and bolts.
It's probably a bit OTT but it's what I do 😉

Why on Earth have you made a flywheel cum crank pulley?
How do you get the belt from there to the water pump and alternator?

But the problem is indeed harmonics, which would be worse with a heavy flywheel on each end of the crank.
Four cylinders are short enough to get away without, but not sixes. They need that damper in the crank pulley, and how well they are working after a minimum of forty years' use is anyone's guess.
I'm grappling with Holtzer calculations at present to work out the frequencies in Triumph cranks - anyone an expert?

John