2500 PI engine v non PI

Freebird

Hi All

I have been offered what I think is a 2.5PI lump to replace the tired 2.5 saloon engine in my Vitesse. The engine number is MG126HE with a 20 thou overbore.

My current engine number starts MM, but I can't remember the rest of it.

What are the main differences? eg are the heads, cams etc the same or not?

Cheers

Glen.

MG is definately a PI engine. I believe there were early and late cam specs for the saloons as for the TR6s so different performance as well. You would most certainly need a PI cam to get the PI system to run properly as it relies on a certain ammount of vacuum to be created for the metering unit to meter properly. However, a PI engine (with PI cam) should also run OK on carbs.

Hi Glen,

The MM engine would be from a TC or S.  They had a much milder cam than the PI and gave about 106bhp.  The head was also taller and gave a lower 8.5 compression ratio.  The PI head has bigger valves but the MM head flows a bit better.

Your early PI engine should have made 132bhp in standard form.  If you are converting to carbs, the late SU HS6 carbs and manifold from post '75 saloons are recommended matched with needles to suit (speak to Chris Witor).  A friend ran his PI on 1.5" Strombergs like the Vitesse has and it really flew - a good choice if acceleration is more important than outright top speed.

One problem with the PI on carbs is running on.  I think this is due to the 9.5 compression ratio.  With yours being bored out 20 thou this will be higher.  Mine's not too bad but I might go for an electric fuel pump to sort it out one day.

All the best,
(another) Glenn

All good news so far, thanks to everyone. My MM engine was already running on twin HS6 SU's, not sure what needles though.

How do I contact Chris Witor?

I hope my Rotoflex couplings can cope with the torque and power, I had to change one the other week and it's no fun at all!

Cheers

Glen.

:B    for big saloons & estates.
Well I'd say either;        Canleyclassics
                                      Chris Witor
                                      Earlpart
                                      TD Fitchet
                                      James Paddock
                                      or look in the magazines for other suppliers

Dave, I suggest you go to whoever fits your budget and specification best.   :)

:B    for big saloons & estates.
                                      Chris Witor
                                      Earlpart
                                      TD Fitchet
                                      James Paddock

Dave, I suggest you go to whoever fits your budget and specification best.   :)

[quote by=Richard_B link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1157631136,s=8 date=1157707424] :B    for big saloons & estates.
                                      Chris Witor
                                      Earlpart
                                      TD Fitchet
                                      James Paddock

Dave, I suggest you go to whoever fits your budget and specification best.   :)[/quote]

Thanks Richard but my lemons are so reliable I don't actually ever need to buy anything for them bar petrol and Feu Oranges!

[quote by=canleyclassics link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1157631136,s=11 date=1157717818]

Thanks Richard but my lemons are so reliable I don't actually ever need to buy anything for them bar petrol and Feu Oranges!
[/quote]

... and seat mountings  :B Or does the Herald not count?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote by=Rust_Spot link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1157631136,s=2 date=1157653636]Hi Glen,

The MM engine would be from a TC or S.  They had a much milder cam than the PI and gave about 106bhp.  The head was also taller and gave a lower 8.5 compression ratio.  The PI head has bigger valves but the MM head flows a bit better.

Your early PI engine should have made 132bhp in standard form.  If you are converting to carbs, the late SU HS6 carbs and manifold from post '75 saloons are recommended matched with needles to suit (speak to Chris Witor).  A friend ran his PI on 1.5" Strombergs like the Vitesse has and it really flew - a good choice if acceleration is more important than outright top speed.

One problem with the PI on carbs is running on.  I think this is due to the 9.5 compression ratio.  With yours being bored out 20 thou this will be higher.  Mine's not too bad but I might go for an electric fuel pump to sort it out one day.

All the best,
(another) Glenn[/quote]

I am running PI engine on carbs and electric fuel pump and it still runs on like a bugger I have fitted an antii run on valve which some (apparently)  american spec TR6s had I havent fitted it close enough to the inlet manifold so it still runs on! ...will let you know how I get on when I install it correctly! my pi lump on carbs was rolling roaded at 130 bhp so performance should be fine in a vit in fact it will be a hoot!

Hi ajp and all

Do I need and electric fuel pump or has the PI cam got a lobe to drive a mechanical one?

I've decided to use the PI head as the MM one needs tons of money to get it up to scatch and also has smaller exhaust valves. I ground quite a bit of metal out of the combustion chambers to smooth out the steps as suggested in Dave Vizzards article. This will lower the CR a bit.

Will Tesco 99 octane fuel help running on?

Glen.

I stripped the PI block down today and found a huge score in number 5 bore from top to bottom a good 0.5mm (20 thou) deep and 2mm wide. Sod it!

It is already 20 thou oversize, so unlikely it will clean up at max oversize.

So I've got two engines, a late recessed head TC (eng No MM20405HEA) with standard bore, but needing a rebore and an early PI (eng No MG126HE) at plus 20 with a score in number 5.  Oh, and no money left as I had the head converted to unleaded and the gearbox needs a rebuild too.

My cunning plan, to save buying a set of pistons, is to re-bore the TC block to plus 20 and fit the pistons, with new rings, rods and camshaft from the PI lump. 

The PI crank is good, so if the TC proves not to be, I will want to fit the PI crank to the TC block. 

Can anyone see any problems with this plan?

Cheers

Glen.

[quote by=Freebird link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1157631136,s=18 date=1159603425]Jason

I haven't got the PI stuff, just a bare engine - all ancillaries will be coming off the TC lump.

Glen.[/quote]

Shame :-( Where in the world are you? I've got some blocks here sat doing nowt

Archived