johnnyj

Hello im new her from sweden, i have a 72:a MK2 2000.
WEN i step on the accelerator it sound like the engine is gone blow to piece, it is a vibrated /scrape rumble  sound fore a short time and then its like in normal cases.
Butt you only hear it wen you are in the car, if you stand with your head down in the engineroom it sounds like normal

Hi Johnny, is this an engine noise or a transmission /drivetrain noise? You will have to approach it systematically to try and narrow it down to a single set of components. Is the noise there all the time you are accelerating but not there when you come off the gas?

the noise is ther fore a short time and comes when i give full gas and then wen i dropp the gas, if i don this repeatedly the noise disappear, and it dosent matter if i have it on gear or not just a smal difference.
The gear stick is vibrateing and i can´t hear anyting diffrent wen i stand on the out side, i have change oil and 10 min after it started.
I did a test to see hove the Compression was and its good.

more info abute the car. We have found the reason to the noise, but wat is it?
Wen i hoist the back end of the car i give full gas, the wheels are moving a lite bit, and the hole propeller shaft is vibrate like hel, so the problem most be in the clutch? wat can i do to fix it?

i have lookt and al the nuts and bolts i good, one spider in the axel is bad, but that has been ther frome the day i pickt up the car. what i can see is al mountings good, but the engien is leaning  in the back and if i put all may force in to it i can shake the engien and gearbox i sideway. I`m not new on car put i have never put man hands on a TRIUMPH before ands it is a lot of difference between av Volvo and Triumph. Ihop my bad English dosen´t irritate you nice people.

okey gone check al joints, and mounting but now i have to wait fore the snowplough:)
I cant get under the car because of al the snow, but tomorrow i be back under:)
thanks  fore the tips, this is a fantastic car and i love to drive it, can you be addiction to Triumph? And  if all goes well i´m gone go to england and buy parts fore a full restoreing in the autumn, you got more second hand parts to this cars then we her in sweden do.

i tink i have solved one problem the starter motor was loose:) that never crossed my  mind, i droopt a tool down there and when i was picking it up i did notise that it was losse.
One more ting can a clutch frome a mk1 fit on a mk 2?

yes a mki should fit a mk2, but unless its a fairly new clutch you are going to use ,its a case of false economy, bearing in mind the hassle of taking the gearbox out and back in, you only want to do it once! also genrally speaking mk1's had a 7/8" slave cylinder as oppossed to a 1" one fitted to mk2s this" may" have to be swapped as well. do you know what make of clutch you would use? also, later mk2's used a different thrust bearing carrier, again swappable.
regards,    bryan

Hi Bryan

Using a 2.0 head on a 2.5 block may result in too high a compression ratio. The 2.0 head is thinner, the actual thickness depends on which engine its from - see this link.

http://www.triumphclub.co.nz/technical.html

Using a 3.4 inch head should be OK as the 2.5 PI used this head thickness, but if yours is 3.3 inches you will have problems.

Some people say using a PI head with carbs will cause running on, but that's what I am using and it doesn't. I did smooth out the combustion chambers though, so this would have lowered the CR a bit. (I'm rambling again now)

You may also have problems with rocker adjustment and need to use shorter push rods.

I've got a 2.5 head in need of new guides and seats which is going for free, but I'm a long way away from you my friend.

Cheers

Glen.

Archived