2500 engine woes

Jim S

Took my automatic 2.5ltr engined 2000 saloon to Classic Le Mans all went well but I've decided to change autobox to an O/D manual if I can find one.

What I did discover was the next day when I started the engine, I got an ominous metallic dull thumping sound from the block at stall speed but it shut up at normal tick over. Don't think its big ends I know what they sound like, I think it may be crank related. Anyone got a 2.5ltr engine they don't want? :-/

Any ideas?

I shouldn't worry too much about noises at "stall speed".  It's most likely just the timing being too advanced for such low speed running.

If the engine otherwise runs sweet and has reasonable oil pressure I'd just check that the crank endfloat is not measured in mm and carry on as normal!

All the "good" second hand engines I tried were even more knackered than my knackered one!

Nick

Think the best thing to do is source everything needed to convert to O/D manual and drop the box and see if anything looks iffy at that point. Need to finish stripping and cutting up the MX5 so I've got space to drag in the saloon. MX5 bits anyone?

• 2 weeks later...