Engine Turning Over With No Spark

Chambers

This is my last effort before I concede a put it into the garage.  Yesterday the car started and then after a second promptly died.  I tried and tried to restart it over the day and the battery then died. Upon checking it seemed to be sparking okay

Overnight the battery has had a full charge, the engine has had new plugs, points, distributor cap and coil, also it had recent HT leads.  Ive put the battery back in and it wouldnt start again (engine turning over fine) so I checked for a spark and now there doesnt seem to be one on any.

Can anyone help me Im at my whit's end.

forgot to put the rotor arm on?.....(i've done this on one or two occasions :B).

start simply, 12v to the coil? lt wire from coil to dizzy ok? spark at points with ign on?

take the ht lead out the cap and hold 1/8" from the head and crank the engine to see if the coil/points are working ok

craig

Ive tried taking the coil to  dizzy off and the spark (or lack of) doesnt jump to the head.  Rotar arm is deffinately still on :-)

All of the wires going to and from the coil simply look beige.  I have one connector on the + side with 2 wires going into it.  On the - side I have 2 connectors with one wire each.  When I have all the wires connected as above the reading is about 6.5.  If I take off both of the - side it goes up to 12.5ish.  When I check the - wires by themselves one of them is giving a reading of about 0 and the other about 3.  Does this mean anything to anyone?

Its driving me crazy

Rotor arms are crap these days, do you have another? I have some decent ones now but a year or so ago my car would just roll to a halt and I'd take a new rotor arm from my stock (glove compartment) swop it over and away we'd go. As JD says in another thread, have a chat to guys at your local club, they'll flock round I'm sure.

If it happens again try cleaning the points first, I suspect thats what you did when you tinkered with the points and condenser anyway.
I had the same symptoms as you the day prior to fitting my electronic ignition, cleaning the points got her going.

8)

The problem's back.

I came out this morning, no worky.
Checked it this evening, plenty of fuel coming from the pump but no spark so I tried the coil to dizzy lead and thatg sparks when you turn the key on then when you turn it off.  So I took the dizzy cap off, had a fiddle and then tried to check for a spark again and it started, put the plug back in and started back up then died a few minutes later. Back to no spark.  Bit of a joke really

Is it worth putting and elec dizzy on and will this fix it?

After similar incidents as others, I have now followed the CPR mantra - Condenser, Points, Rotor.  Then again I am a bit of a simplton when it comes to my mechanical ability so start easy and work your way up.

Also, if you do get it to start on one of the odd occaissions, then do all the normal tests and check readings / voltages.  

Archived