WIMPUS

Hi,

Been to a guy last week that was selling bunch of spitfire parts, he had spit 1500 standing there also.
Buying a door & co from him, but also asked this week how much he needed for the engine & diff (not the gearbox, because it's a non-overdrive).

So what compression do you sort of need to have for a good engine?
Never tested it with mine, because then i would start to worry to much  ;D

If i'm right you need to crack the engine with the throttle fully open to have a good reading..
My friend his father has a tester, so he's bringing it.

And what to look out for the rest ?
It's still in the spitfire, so it starts & co.

4526 wrote:
Hi,

So what compression do you sort of need to have for a good engine?
Never tested it with mine, because then i would start to worry to much  ;D

If i'm right you need to crack the engine with the throttle fully open to have a good reading..
My friend his father has a tester, so he's bringing it.

And what to look out for the rest ?
It's still in the spitfire, so it starts & co.

Anything from 150 pounds upwards

And no big difference between the 4 cylinders, a small difference is ok.

If they are low, squirt some oil into the bores and re test, if they go higher, it means the rings are worn.

Yes, throttle fully open, also take out the spark plugs, (turns over easier, and won't flatten the battery as fast)
Disconnect the coil lead.

Check the crank end float, get your friend to sit in the car, press the clutch while you look at the front pulley! It should not move a lot, if at all.

Check there was anti freeze in the water! Or has he just topped it up!
Pull the oil dip stick out, and look at the oil, is it good, or milky, or grey/black.

Once the engine is running, listen for any noises, from the top end, and bottom end, also listen if the alternator makes a noise.
Look to see if the water pump is not leaking! (may do if the motor has sat for a long time)

As I think of more I will let you know.  ;)

4058 wrote:
And no big difference between the 4 cylinders, a small difference is ok.

If they are low, squirt some oil into the bores and re test, if they go higher, it means the rings are worn.

Yes, throttle fully open, also take out the spark plugs, (turns over easier, and won't flatten the battery as fast)
Disconnect the coil lead.

Check the crank end float, get your friend to sit in the car, press the clutch while you look at the front pulley! It should not move a lot, if at all.

Check there was anti freeze in the water! Or has he just topped it up!
Pull the oil dip stick out, and look at the oil, is it good, or milky, or grey/black.

Once the engine is running, listen for any noises, from the top end, and bottom end, also listen if the alternator makes a noise.
Look to see if the water pump is not leaking! (may do if the motor has sat for a long time)

As I think of more I will let you know.  ;)

Thanks Shaun, will look at all this tomorrow evening ;)

i've been reading, and it seems all 1500 came with the 3.63 diff..
But maybe someone on here will know it better? :p

How to test it again?
Is it marking the output, so it you turn the input shaft that the output needs to do 3.63 turns ?  :o

Well i've been after the parts and did & compression test & co !

This was the outcome of the test : 160,130,150,150
What do you all think ?
I've looked at the engine number and it was a DM, so looked it up on the computer and it was a 1500 from a Toledo (and i guess dolly also).

For the rest it was running sweeter then mine !
Not much movement, he changed the points and set up the valve clearance last week.

For the price i don't get only the engine, but everything around it, so starter, carb's (!), manifold....

As for Shaun, i've asked for the wheels, but he was sure what he was going to do ..
He had white/rusty wheels under the mk2, but he maybe going to refurb them or otherwise put the mkIV/1500 wheels under it ..
But got his phone number & co, so will keep in touch with him.
Also to hear/see how it is with his mk2 spit  :P