Spitfire 1500 engine swap (a bit of a catch up)

yorkshire_spam

So, back in 2015 the engine in the Spitfire was a bit "tired" so I decided to swap the spare in for the Boarder Raiders run as a test to see if it was up to the 10CR that year.

It failed, valve springs shattered on day 2, dropping the valve into the top of the piston, which then drove the valve guide out of the head smashing the rocker arm on it's way out. 😞

spacer.png

A swift engine change, with assistance from Mik Davies saw us back on the road in time for the 10CR and the spare engine sat on the engine stand in the garage until October 2019 waiting for attention.

I stripped the engine and the "dings" in the bore made me think that it was perhaps beyond saving, but after taking the block to my local trusted engineering company (William Browns of Halifax) we concluded that a +060 over-bore would save it....

spacer.png

Because I'd been paid my bonus at work in 2019 I had a bit of budget to spare, so I decided I'd rebuild to "vanity spec" not just a plain old rebuild.

spacer.png

New rods, pistons and a fast-road cam from newmans (with new high spec followers as well)

I matched the piston+rod+pin weights to within about 2 grams and had the head "sorted" by Peter Burgess to his "fast road" spec.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I measured the combustion volume and had the head skimmed to bring the CR up to 10.2:1 

Duplex vernier timing gear added, a rebuilt dizzy from H&H....

spacer.png

I got the engine in and running in April 2020

Since then I've added a 4:2:1 exhaust manifold and had the twin SU carb bodies rebushed and I've rebuilt the carbs and fitted them.

Sadly due to "the situation" it's not done enough miles since then to even be considered run in.

Hopefully back on the road in the next few weeks.

Edited by yorkshire_spam
Fix images
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sparky_spit said:

Hi Sam - with the +60 pistons fitted, did you get any interference issues between the piston crowns and the gasket fire-rings?

Nope, everything cleared nicely. I had trouble with the rods interfering with the oil pump though, had to take the die grinder to the pump casing to get clearance.

DSC_1800.thumb.JPG.01ce883d332e983ccd54e359230e7b50.JPG