selling an engine

ferny

But it only takes a few minutes to set the timing. I suppose it depends upon your potential market! i.e. what a buyer is looking for- if it's someone looking for say a Vitesse/GT6 engine to convert a Herald or Spit then they're going to want a lump with as many ancilliaries as possible, if it's someone looking for a spare/replacement for an existing engine then they'll already have all the bits'n'pieces.

heraldcoupe wrote:
When buying, I'm always been suspicious of mechanical units with bits removed leaving openings unsealed. It can be blocked with a bit of rag I know, but expect cynicism from bidders,

Cheers,
Bill.

When I was looking a replacement BMW 6 pot, breakers were looking £ 400 for hundred thousand milers. I bought a thirty thousand miler with its head off (had come from a write off) and completely covered in crap for sixty quid out of a free ads paper CRACKING ENGINE. You cannot judge a book by its cover.

Laurence

Gt6s wrote:

You cannot judge a book by its cover.
Laurence

That's true, we had a customer buy a second hand engine (td5 land rover) from a right off also, (but it was already out when he bought it)
It did look like new though, he was told it had only done 20 thousand k, we fitted it (no guaranty on our behalf, customer supplied engine)
It knocked like a outhouse door in the wind, long story short, it had two pistons broken, liners knackered, and head was smashed. (so was that why the car was wrote off???)

And then on the other side, my friend bought a rover V8 for €30! I kid you not, it was in the chaps shed sat in the way, he said it was a runner over 10years ago!
My mate fitted it, and it purrs like a kitten, and is still going strong about 5 years on! So you can never tell!

Can you advertise it for "x" amount complete with ancilleries, or "y" amount without,
It's then up to the buyer if they want it or not!  :)

Well i've bought an engine (actually a dolly engine) a month or 2 ago as spare for my spitfire or maybe rebuild that engine in the future ..
We had the chance to hear it run and even fully warming up, owner put in new points & everything when we where there.
It was even more quiet then mine now.

We could do an compression test and when we asked what was in the price included..
He said everything !

He just got the engine out, carb's, exhaust manifold, engine mounts, clutch distributor , not the spark plugs .. everything is still on it !  :)