The 4 cyl 1700 engine

James

The 1500 was an engine already stretched beyond it's design limit, the 1700 was 200cc's too far.

The basic 1500 already beats its crankshaft to death, Putting any more load on it was asking for trouble.

IIRC, prior to BL days, Triumphs plans for the Spitfire was the Dolly engine rather than a 1500.

380 wrote:
IIRC, prior to BL days, Triumphs plans for the Spitfire was the Dolly engine rather than a 1500.

I take it you refer to the slant 4 Dolly engine?   I think that would have been a stupid idea coming from Triumph.  Fine for the home market but we all know that they put a lot of thought into their main market - the North American export market.  Triumph would have been shooting themselves in the foot as the slant 4 doesn't work in LHD mode due to the steering column getting fouled big time.  Sure you could get it to work but at what extra cost - for a cash strapped company?

Julian

699 wrote:

I take it you refer to the slant 4 Dolly engine?   I think that would have been a stupid idea coming from Triumph.  Fine for the home market but we all know that they put a lot of thought into their main market - the North American export market.  Triumph would have been shooting themselves in the foot as the slant 4 doesn't work in LHD mode due to the steering column getting fouled big time.  Sure you could get it to work but at what extra cost - for a cash strapped company?

Julian

Perhaps this was the reason the idea was dropped.  IIRC, they experimented with fitting the original 1700 cc version of the slant 4 in it.

No, the 1700 was a further stretched version of the 1500.  Not quite sure how it was done and I think there were two versions - one of which worked (using some weirdo South African crankshaft??) and one of which was mainly a rod slinger.  Dave P would be the current UK expert on these I think.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
No, the 1700 was a further stretched version of the 1500.  Not quite sure how it was done and I think there were two versions - one of which worked (using some weirdo South African crankshaft??) and one of which was mainly a rod slinger.   Dave P would be the current UK expert on these I think.

Nick

Taking an engine that started out at 803cc and more than doubling it is always a good receipe for tears before bedtime. :o

Raider wrote:
I have seen a GT6 with a 16Valve Sprint engine in it so it would be possible

Was that a left hooker?  I mention specifically the left hookers as those were by far the most produced seeing that the main market was North America.  Guy local to me here in NL tried fitting a Sprint engine in a Spit but found that the steering column was in the way.  I think he eventually chose another engine.
As a private conversion I can imagine some serious modifications being made to make it work.  Triumph being cash strapped wouldn't have bothered.
Julian

699 wrote:

Was that a left hooker?  I mention specifically the left hookers as those were by far the most produced seeing that the main market was North America.  Guy local to me here in NL tried fitting a Sprint engine in a Spit but found that the steering column was in the way.  I think he eventually chose another engine.
As a private conversion I can imagine some serious modifications being made to make it work.  Triumph being cash strapped wouldn't have bothered.
Julian

Oh I dunno. Triumph were trying all sort of crazy/expensive things at the time - V8's, 4WD, OHC engines with a cast in place cam carrier etc.  

bean counters! (mad)

1964 Vitesse restyling proposal

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/experimentalcars/vitesseproto.html&xsl=experimentalcars.xsl

Gorgeous! Absolutely bloody gorgeous!

Bears a striking resembleance to the Opel Manta that sold like gangbusters in the 70's

Archived