Spitfire MkIII Front Quarter Bumpers

Richard B

Richard,You mean ...to look like a 1V /1500....not seen them, but think they would look horrendous.

Probable changes, front bonnet hangers (or whole bonnet?

Front mount box change?

Some kind of manipulation to make 1/4`s fit existing chassis members?

Can`t see the advantage of mix and match.....just buy a 1V or 1500

Richard,

If you mean having the section between the overriders removed, I think those are done on an individual basis.

The tricky bit is what to do about the open ends where the bumper has been cut. The overriders can be filled to close the opening , or the stub ends of the bumpers can be closed. Either way rechroming is on the cards.

Cheers,

Paul

I must get some new glasses "quarter BUMPERS" I missed the end bit I thought you meant the front quarter panels ,where the light clusters are.....

rewind........Yes Ive  seen them , and from what I`ve seen they are standard bumpers with centre section cut out......and the ends being sealed by a welded `cap` or plastic cover

Q.    what happens when you hit something. .......A. your rad may take a battering...or the bonnet nose

Yes, but I've seen several with fabricated ends that look like someone had made a batch. I think might be someone in the Netherlands? My MkIII had horrible cut and bent ends on the bumpers, but I like the look. The one thing about the MkIII, I don't like is the bone in the teeth front bumper.

I would prefer 1/4 bumpers to the de-bumpered look.

• 2 weeks later...

As Mike states, Dave Picton has bought my mk2 back and has fitted some modified front bumpers to the car, looks really neat. 

Worth having a chat with him. I think he made new mounts and fitted them lower.

Its a pretty car that is for sale, so Dave may well have sold it.

Gosh, don't early Spits make strong money these days!!!