Restoring White Bumpers

PeteW

Many thanks for the advice and some great photos.  I agree the bleach could be a bit harsh and do more harm than good.  I hadn't considered going without bumpers but having seen the pictures I think I might do this with the convertible.  The estate is Valencia Blue and the white bumpers seem to suit it so I will be taking Stu up on his kind offer.

Checked out the link to Frost's whitewall tyre paint, thanks.  They are out of stock at the moment.  Wonder how many bottles of Tippex I would need for a bumper.

I blame Jonny-Jimbo for this but: Today I have been thinking about bumpers a lot and have now decided that I will fot Vitesse bumpers to my car instead of Rubber ones. This is partly because I'm a magpie and also the white might clash with my colour scheme.

On that basis: Grayfox I might be able to sort you out with a set of good quality bumper caps.  8)

• 4 years later...

Hello Goody.
I have looked down the items relating to white bumpers but can only see references to taking them off or cleaning them. Can you please advise me where to look for the tips on how to fit them?
All the best,
Pete

Hello Goody.
I have looked down the items relating to white bumpers but can only see references to taking them off or cleaning them. Can you please advise me where to look for the tips on how to fit them?
All the best,
Pete

PeteW:  My last post under Fitting is how I put them on.  First your metal strips have to be in good shape.  Then lub the rubber parts fully then slide them on using the method I described.  You will have to remove at least one overrider front and back in order to slide the center sections on.  I suggest for the rear you remove the right as the bolts are easy'er to get to then the left due to gas tank.  Using a rubber malet can be helpfull by tapping the ends so they slide on.  

PeteW:  My last post under Fitting is how I put them on.  First your metal strips have to be in good shape.  Then lub the rubber parts fully then slide them on using the method I described.  You will have to remove at least one overrider front and back in order to slide the center sections on.  I suggest for the rear you remove the right as the bolts are easy'er to get to then the left due to gas tank.  Using a rubber malet can be helpfull by tapping the ends so they slide on.  

Never use bleach it rots the rubber and can turn it brown, if they aren't to bad and you just need to clean them use CIFF and a green scourer and washing washing up liquid to clean off. if the surface is badly crazed use a very heavy wet and dry wet and take it down before cleaning, if past that get whitewall paint and and build up in thin layers until the cracks are filled (you will have to paint on the car or the rubber will crack again!. You could splash the cash and buy new you will need nice hot water and some silicone oil to get them on, the silicone will make things move and preserve the rubber!

I agree with Mark if they are on the car originally they should be on the car, originality and all that but that's just my opinion plus its all to easy to scrape the paint off with out them! not to say the cars dont look good without the bumpers fitted as per the very early models

Never use bleach it rots the rubber and can turn it brown, if they aren't to bad and you just need to clean them use CIFF and a green scourer and washing washing up liquid to clean off. if the surface is badly crazed use a very heavy wet and dry wet and take it down before cleaning, if past that get whitewall paint and and build up in thin layers until the cracks are filled (you will have to paint on the car or the rubber will crack again!. You could splash the cash and buy new you will need nice hot water and some silicone oil to get them on, the silicone will make things move and preserve the rubber!

I agree with Mark if they are on the car originally they should be on the car, originality and all that but that's just my opinion plus its all to easy to scrape the paint off with out them! not to say the cars dont look good without the bumpers fitted as per the very early models

caustic soda in a large long tank [i used a plastic tool chest] removes paint and grease and bleaches them white left in over night- doesn't seem to be a problem one year on. then sprayed with clear silicone 'back to black' vinyl restorer and hooked the top over the lip and then pushed/squeezed the lower rut over the bottom lip.

caustic soda in a large long tank [i used a plastic tool chest] removes paint and grease and bleaches them white left in over night- doesn't seem to be a problem one year on. then sprayed with clear silicone 'back to black' vinyl restorer and hooked the top over the lip and then pushed/squeezed the lower rut over the bottom lip.

Quoted from julesdingle
then sprayed with clear silicone 'back to black' vinyl restorer.

...which does exactly what it says on the tin and left them…. white

I usually just clean mine with car polish, which if applied when the bumpers are fresh or new, keeps them that way.

10026 wrote:
then sprayed with clear silicone 'back to black' vinyl restorer.

...which does exactly what it says on the tin and left them…. white :)

I usually just clean mine with car polish, which if applied when the bumpers are fresh or new, keeps them that way.

Quoted from Paudman

...which does exactly what it says on the tin and left them…. white

I bought the 'back to black' expecting it to restore the black vinyl of the dash and it turned out to be clear. Old skool polish left everything white residue so I may try it next I polish.

490 wrote:

...which does exactly what it says on the tin and left them…. white :)

I bought the 'back to black' expecting it to restore the black vinyl of the dash and it turned out to be clear. Old skool polish left everything white residue so I may try it next I polish.

• 3 weeks later...

....My late '64 convertible hasn't got them on at the moment - I've had some in the house for years..(can't remember if they came with the car!) I got some nice 'ends' from that celebrated internet auction site but have no pieces that attach to the valances.....

I think they should always be retained & that people shouldn't junk 'em & fit Vitesse ones instead, as to me they virtually define a Herald as I presume they are unique?? I certainly can't think of any other vehice fitted with them....