Door glass adjustment?

Ron

Not only has the bulb at the end of the tunnel been removed, it's now been smashed!

I've got the glass in now but does anyone know if it can be adjusted at all?

When the glass is wound up the top, half of the front edge of the window leaves the glass channel in the quarterlight and the rear edge bangs the B post when shutting the door, it just doesn't look vertical at all.

The glass will really only go in one way and operate properly so it can't be that. HELP, before I take a lump hammer to it.

yes, there are bolts holding the frame in its spot.
as weel as adjusments for the glass, in forads / backwards , and in / oot  
in / oot the adjusters are on the bottoms / tops of the runners
BUT, is some times easier to adjust inwards [ top going in ] by putting ashers behint the bolt

back an forad, this is done by slackening the bolts, and movng em in the recessed hole.

there is also a stop for the window height, its in the middle o the dor .

have a good look at it, and use Ye Olde Lodgik Box to figure it oot, its simples when actually looking at it.

If its tight to turn, then there may also be accuumulated sheite built up in the runners / channels, a good dose of Quak Quak oil works wonders.
M

Ron
I have the same problem with my gt6.  does the glass rise evenly until midway and then starts to move towards the B post?  if so it's the winder mechanism that's worn.  I have just bought a couple off ebay to see if this fixes things.

339 wrote:
Ron
I have the same problem with my gt6.  does the glass rise evenly until midway and then starts to move towards the B post?  if so it's the winder mechanism that's worn.  I have just bought a couple off ebay to see if this fixes things.

Tim prob find its the rear channel,   the rear stops this happening, as it kees it up against the front.
but needs to be adjusted just right.
It will rb be the inner linning has worn / rotted away owa the aeons.
M

I was playing with my windows for several hours yesterday, and had the same issue as Tim. All new runners, everything going back into the door for the first time since the strip-down.
1. Fit quarterlight, adjust to ensure a 5-7mm gap between the front edge, the A pillar and the roof.
2. Fit drop glass.
3. Fit rear runner. Make sure the glass slides up and down smoothly.
4. Try to fit winder mechanism, work out that this should have been step 1. Say a word so bad that the cat looks alarmed.
5. Remove glass and front quarterlight.
6. Fit winder first, then the quarterlight and glass.

The glass rises and falls smoothly, except that despite the lovely new runners, mine also tends to move backwards slightly. I doubt that there will be many un-worn winder mechanisms out in eBay land  :( There are a couple of fiddly little metal parts that control how far the glass can rise and fall, and the angle of the quarterlight and glass is adjustable by the screws Marcus mentioned. Looking at the witness marks on various fittings offered clues as to where things sat before the strip-down.

I also had a go at fitting the inner and outer weatherstrips and concluded that they were not designed for Triumphs. They're thicker (or I am) and the standard clips do not fit them well. Especially the outer one. There is no smiley for impotent, frustrated rage.

have a fiddle wid the rear channel TOP adjuster.
If the glass an the frame are not in same plane, then tension builds up whents winding.
this pushes the glass backwards.
plenty of Quak Quak oil helps alott, as mine are running very free noo,

M

I'm pretty sure that I've got the correct glass holder in place but it's worth checking. But I haven't got the bracing wire in yet, was meaning to do that last. Will it m ake that much difference then?

796 wrote:

Tim prob find its the rear channel,   the rear stops this happening, as it kees it up against the front.
but needs to be adjusted just right.
It will rb be the inner linning has worn / rotted away owa the aeons.
M

changed the channel for a new one.  It's most defiantly the winder being worn :( :(