Frost spot welder attachement for Arc

RYGhost

Hello,

I've seen this ad on Frost for a spot-welder attachement that fits to an arc welder...sounds interesting.  Was wondering if anyone had one or had used one before?  I've got the odd panel to replace on my spit, so sounds ideal, and it's only £30.

Also, second question, it says it handles 26 to 18g steel...no idea what that means in real money, but presumably that covers the thickness of steel on 'our' cars?

Cheers,
Chris

I used to have one of these a few years ago- it looked like a good idea at the time, and was before MIGs were common-place so arc or gas were the only home options. I actually found it to be pretty useless- it may have been me bit it took forwever to get a decent weld and often caused more distortion than arc welding the seam!

As soon as I got a MIG, I found plug welds to be a much better bet and have never used the thing since.

Hello Chris,

virtually all classics use 18gauge for chassis member sections (monocoque shells) and 20 gauge for outer panels. Jaguar used 16 gauge on some models for the sills but that is unusual.

I don't know the gauge of the Spitfire chassis, but would imagine that it is at least 16, possibly thicker, if so that can be arc welded if you are a good welder. 16 gauge is probably the thinnest you can practically weld with arc (MMA)

Alec

You would be better off getting a Mig. I would recommend a 130 or a 150, have a look for a good second hand one if thats all the budget will stretch to. You can use the disposable bottles for small jobs and upgrade later if required or use the gas-less wire (not my preferrence).

No offense to the supplier; but these after market 'attachments' always seem to be a great idea, then you buy one and try it and decide you would have been better off with something better.

I've got one somewhere - bought almost 30 years ago.
All I did was a few "practice" weld before deciding that the quality couldn't be guaranteed so you could go all along a seam to find numerous areas weren't joined together.
Mig is far easier although I admit I've also got a proper spot welder with extra arms (cost me £40  ;D ) and oxy acet as well.

Paul Humphries

Hmm, I am a fan of my gasless mig. But then again I have never used gas ones either. On my part I will say that the gasless is very forgiving if the welded area is not as clean as it should be (ie those awkward corners, bits of underseal etc etc). Also if you are not going to weld anything over 3mm then a little 90Amp mig is fine, I really liked my clarke 90, a much better welder than my current sip130. But after 10years and several cars the clarke gave up and the sip looked good......dread to think what some of the unbranded ones are like. Or maybe the same as the sip!

Clive

thealligator wrote:
£40 your half way to:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79434/Power-Tools/Welding/100-No-Gas-MIG-Welder;jsessionid=HNLJE0CES1UWGCSTHZOCFGA

Now I am not recommending it, but I think I would give it a try!

I have one of these and find it quite a good little machine - for the small jobs I use it for.

Archived