Car tool kit and battery - recommendations?

Ad2408

Hello All

After my recent breakdown (split fuel line) I think I need to take an appropriate tool kit with me on trips, so what do people carry?

Also when I leave my car on trickle charge I end up with some small puddles/drops of battery acid on the top of the battery - looking around you online it would seem a sealed, maintenance free battery may be a way to - Halfords look to have some good deals at the mo - what amp would I need for a 1300 spitfire?

Thanks in advance
Adam

What do I carry? Well, my "portable" kit is over 50kg...  :B
The only time the Herald has broken down and required recovery is when the engine is dead, very dead. It's saved and helped countless other cars with those tools.

Halfords Pro. stuff is good and dependable. But, first thing you need to consider is what you're willing and capable to fix at the side of the road and then buy the tools to do those jobs.

As Peter says.....if you are not sufficient in knowledge to strip a whole car down at the side of the road..........then look at the engine bay and think...."I could take that off and that etc etc" and then identify what tools and spares you may need carry to cover those identified items
For example a full set of imperial af combi spanners will cover most roadside repairs, plus a set of flat and cross point screwdrivers,pliers etc
Then identify the spares eg fuses,hose clips,cable brake fluid etc

That would generally be the start

Then when you are sufficient and enter endurance events....................fill the car with brake spares,diff,wheel bearing,wishbones etc etc etc etc..... :)

I am a big fan of ECPas long as they have a promo on.....
Halfords are OK as long as you have a tradecard.

As to tools, halfords stuff is pretty good.

in the car I have a toolbag, smallish.
it contains:
3/8 drive socket set (combined af and metric) 8mm up to 7/8", but 3/4vwould be adequate
ratchet, extension bar/tommy bar for the sockets
no2 phillips, medium flat and small electrical screwdrivers
3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 combination spanners
Pliers
medium adjustable spanner
medium hammer
junior hacksaw
medium vise grips
All decent stuff too (teng/irwin etc
Plus a torch

in addition: insulation tape, cable ties, few nuts/bolts, some wire, bits of hose, spare rotor arm, fuses and so on

All packs up small, in fact I reckon will fit under the dish in the spare wheel. Will sort 99% o problems.

With an organiser its so easy to move from car to car
I have one of these,that has three press studs to hold to back board of Spitfire
The three pockets take all you need and the weight of all the `necessary` is taken by the spare wheel
http://www.wilko.com/car-accessories/wilko-boot-organiser-black/invt/0184510?VBMST=car%20boot%20storage

Not got a triumph yet but in my last classic i used to carry

Tool-wise:
Jump Leads
Multimeter
Adjustable Spanner
Small set of spanners
Various screwdrivers
Dead Blow hammer
Pliers, cutters
Torch
Vice grips
insulation tape
Utility knife/Stanley Knife
Scissors
Alan key set
Electrical contact cleaner
Small Fuel Can
Cloth/rags
Bradex easystart
Footpump
Small fire extinguisher

Spare Parts etc:
Spare HT Leads
Rotor Arm
Dist Cap
Spare Bulbs
Spare Fuses
Brake Fluid
Hose Clips
Spare Wipers

Plus the usual's of course being a decent jack, wheel wrench etc

Like other's said, consider the jobs you'd be able to fix by the side of the road yourself and carry what you'd need to do that. Only thing may be worth adding would be a coil and bottle of water

John

the Spitfire isn't ready yet so not sure what I will be taking,

But in my 1976 land Rover, i always carry a Halfords professional set like this (although mine is over ten years old now!! where does the time go)
like this>>http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862421_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

A decent hammer
a large pry bar,
some spare fuel.
an assortment of tow ropes and shackles (for pulling those who get stuck in the snow etc)

7782 wrote:

But in my 1976 land Rover, i always carry a Halfords professional set like this (although mine is over ten years old now!! where does the time go)
like this>> http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862421_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

Good set this, bought it while on this offer and lifetime warranty on all the professional range so they straight away replace any tools you may manage to break!

Fishing tackle cases are good for carrying tools in the boot. Not the ones with little compartments, just one tray and and spacious bottom compartment.
Combination 1/4" 3/8" drive socket sets will handle most things and other tools select themselves over time as you work on the car.
A multimeter is worth carrying. Some fine wet and dry to clean electrical contacts.
Mechanical tyre pump better than electric, you don't want anything else that can break down.
Spares..where do you stop?

I'm off for my mot on thursday with a completely rebuilt car... im thinking of taking a support truck with most of the shed in it  ;D

I like cliff hangers list but would add a 1/4 inch spanner for little things like a slipping throttle etc.

7801 wrote:

Good set this, bought it while on this offer and lifetime warranty on all the professional range so they straight away replace any tools you may manage to break!

Not for me they wouldn't - somehow managed to break my 7/16 ratchet spanner after a few months- no longer supplied (ratchets not covered by lifetime warrantee apparently) and wouldn't exchange for alternative metric spanner.

Annoying as I find that's the most useful spanner for my Spitfire.

Alex