Diagnostic tool

DougBGT6

My modern failed it's MOT for unevenly worn front tyres. £280 for the pair. Kerching!  :-/  Bit different from my GT6, £100 for 5! (Buy 4 get one free!).

My MOT man also advised me my rear parking sensors aren't working, not an MOT problem but, he could fix it for an eye watering amount of money. I think I need one of those diagnostic thingies which might tell me where this problem is. Anybody got any recommendations?

You mean an OBD2 reader?

They can be found very cheaply on eBay.  I have a pretty inexpensive one from eBay that works well. The baseline ones all seem to be much alike.

Also, you can buy an ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 dongle for about $10 on ebay, which can then be used to communicate with OBD2 software on your phone or a laptop.  The phone method is handy:  I have an evap leak code which occurs occasionally, it triggers the light on the dash, I've not yet been motivated to chase it, & I can just clear the code via my phone.

It depends how modern is your modern and what make. I have one for VW Audi Seat that even talks to the heater and stereo. It can read and clear codes, clear and set service intervals  etc. Cost was about £35 Or you can get OBD11 dongles to your lap top from £5 and find software that may talk to your car (quite good on Vauxhall not yet been lucky on BMW).

Paul

Ah....well.... a bit of understatement.   :-/  When I say uneven they looked all right from the OUTSIDE but as the MOT man pointed out  "The inner treads are down to the canvas Guv!"  ??)  

I thought the tracking had been adjusted when I bought it, the steering wheel being at a bit of a slant. Had the tracking checked and it's OK. So the  scenario is the tracking's gone out, it's been fixed but the tyres are damaged, so lets get rid while, at a cursory glance, the tyres look OK. Devious swine!

As to the diagnostic gizmo, thanks guys! I've checked requirements and isolated a likely candidate on Ebay, should take delivery shortly. I'm hoping it's a loose connection as the sensors are a hell of a price and, to add insult to injury, you have to paint it yourself.

Just an update on the parking sensors. I read you can actually hear them if they are working. So ignition on, reverse selected, hand brake on. Couldn't make it out at first but I got my beer syphoning tube, stuck it in my ear and pressed the other on each sensor. Sure enough a faint rapid tapping sort of noise from three at the back but the fourth, nothing! So that's the dead one. I think I can sort it without the gizmo but I'm gonna get it anyway.