brake flaring tool?

mpbarrett

need to replace and change a couple of pipes on the GT6 so am going to treat myself to a brake flaring kit. Anyone got any recommendations and sources for pipe and fittings?

cheers
mike

GT6: New gearbox in car but gearbox change has now turned in to mini rebuild, new rear UJ's, new bushes, brake servo, new fuel pump, filter, spin on filter, interior out and being redone, floor derust and painted, new seat foam, new arm rest, new mirrors and have now noticed that one of the core plugs is leaking....

You could do a lot worse than to use Automec. Their components are good, and they have a decent selection of flaring tools. I won't recommend for their full pipe kits though.
Assuming you're using Copper-Nickel alloy pipe, check the suitability of your flaring kit for this material. The cheap kits often have a disclaimer about not using it with this material, and I did indeed break off a tip the first time I used one to flare Cunifer pipe. Automec/Oakes Tools do a nice semi-pro kit which is vice mounted. I've been using one for years without any problems.
Cheers,
Bill.

I use ebay for pipe and fittings which is cheap and convenient as I don't live near a motor factor.  However the unions you get corrode very quickly.  I wouldn't put them on my Triumphs - as Richard says, much better getting brass ones.

I have a Sealey hand-held tool.  This gives you the advantage of being able to flare in situ underneath the car.  Handy for fine tuning pipe length to make a neat job.  I've never been that good at getting the old steel pipes off in one piece and replicating them in copper!!

Archived