brake pipe connections

2litre-e

plumbing in the wilwood brake adjuster i have hit a snitch, the thread in the adjuster itself is 1/8npt apparently and it comes with 2 adapters to get to 3/8 imperial. its taken me a day to find the adapters as i thought they were just changing from metric and threw them somewhere without looking weeks ago. having found what i think is them although they do seem a bit tight but they have some red thread lock on the threads just like in merlins picture i have another problem, all of the imperial unions i have don't fit, with the pipe flared and ready to screw on its apparent that the adapter is not deep enough to allow the unions thread to engage, it sort of bottoms out.looking on merlins site they just list imperial connections not specifying any different choices. umm

Hi, I dont have any direct answers or help for you, but earlier this week I had trouble identifying the threads on the ends of a brake type hose used as an rocker oil feed on my cousins Vanguard. I called BSR-Aerotek and Matt there was really helpful. He said to send the old hose in so he could see what we were talking about. After I did he sorted it out and I had the repared line on me doormat this morning, for a few quid only. They seem to have a huge selection of old and new threaded hose/line kit to build stuff from. If you can't find what you're looking for I'd bet they could: http://www.bsr-aerotek.com/store/

NPT = National Pipe Taper.

Never heard of NPT being used on ANY brake parts. Only UNF or metric. Surely they wouldn't use a taper thread on a precision component ? Could distort or even crack the housing !

If the adaptor is too shallow, I would say its for a metric union.

UNF male unions always have a threadless part on the first 4mm or so. Metric ones have thread all the way to the end.

However, as America is a law unto itself, who knows ?

Smallfry wrote:
Never heard of NPT being used on ANY brake parts. Only UNF or metric. Surely they wouldn't use a taper thread on a precision component ? Could distort or even crack the housing !

NPT threads are used on hydraulic brake light switches fitted to some Triumphs - TR2 & TR3 spring to mind. Confusingly, Triumph used NPT on some models, while other contemporary Triumphs got the regular 3/8 UNF hydraulic switch, eg Herald & Vitesse. The NPT brake switch is also used on BMC vehicles of the 1950s/60s,
Cheers,
Bill.

I've found agricultural parts suppliers useful for brake bits, especially wierd and wonderful metric to imperial combinations. They are set up for unusual hydraulic applications. If you're near anywhere that sells and maintains tractors it might be worth going and asking their parts department if they can provide anything a bit more elegant than two adaptors for one joint.

Archived