Brake servo woes

DougBGT6

I got my new Lockheed servo installed, it works! Except the rear brakes are binding slightly, which is quite odd as the servo is only on the front brakes!  :-/

I'm thinking, I put my foot on the brake, fluid is pushed through the brass T piece, half to the servo, half to the rear brakes.

I take my foot off the brake and fluid is expelled from the servo and should go back to the master cylinder, as should the fluid from the rear brakes. But what if there's a constriction between master cylinder and T piece? Then the servo would push the fluid to the rear brakes?

Am I grasping at straws?

Only thing I can think of is that more pressure is now being transferred to the rear BECAUSE less pressure is being transferred to the front of the T-piece (the servo). The servo requires less pressure to operate than two unassisted calipers.

But not sure how to fix it as I don't have a servo. Pressure bias valve?

• 2 weeks later...

The original factory fit servo fitted to late GT6 MK3s that had servos as standard was on the front brakes only from the factory. However the optional retrofit servo kit on the earlier cars that didn't have servo fitted at the factory was designed to be on all 4 wheels. I must admidt I favour the 4 wheel approach personally but I guess Triumph must have had good reason to build the late models with servo assistance on front only?

I haven't done any more work on this as I've been up in Scotland fitting new taps at my mother's house. Paddles instead of knobs, very good for the arthritic. So I haven't done anymore on the servo, thought about it a lot though!  :-/

There has to be more fluid in the system after the brakes have been applied than before. If there's a leak or bleeding going on the master cylinder lets more fluid into the system when you release the brakes. I'm wondering if the master cylinder is letting in fluid quicker than the servo is releasing it and therefore too much fluid in the system.

Dunno!  :B  First step is refurbish the master cylinder. Which means if I've got it off sort out the paint work, so better do the clutch master cylinder as well. And the slave I suppose, which means cowl off. Oh dear!  :-/

Confused over adding the rear brakes into the servo system, I thought I read somewhere on here that was a bad idea? Might be wrong, I'm open to advice.

Cant remember how mine was originally (GT6 mk3) - It had the original Girling Powerstop servo, a 4-way brass union, so must have done all 4 wheels as I have re-used the union.

Current set up (and very happy with - meaning I have confidence in stopping when I need to and when I have to)
Hose from master to servo, hose from servo to union - then copper to rear, front left and front right.
Stops true and straight with no twitchyness.

Have you got the twin master cylinder from spit 1500 (or some other dual outlet master) and therefore a dual system...and thus have one going to servo (and then fronts) and the other outlet straight to rear...?

cook1e wrote:
but I guess Triumph must have had good reason to build the late models with servo assistance on front only?

Mayb there was a tendency to lockup the rears with a servo? Late GT6, would this have been on the swingspring with the self adjusters?  :-/

Just to be clear my GT6 is non rotoflex late. It has a single master cylinder and had a Girling servo as standard. Master cylinder to 3 way union, (on the bulk head by the battery) one feed to rear brakes one to servo. Feed from servo to 3 way union (on the chassis near the passenger side front wheel) one feed L/H front, one feed R/H front.

Steve, good pics! Red brake pipes! Wow!  And a nice rocker cover. No vacuum?

9077 wrote:
Just to be clear my GT6 is non rotoflex late. It has a single master cylinder and had a Girling servo as standard. Master cylinder to 3 way union, (on the bulk head by the battery) one feed to rear brakes one to servo. Feed from servo to 3 way union (on the chassis near the passenger side front wheel) one feed L/H front, one feed R/H front.

Steve, good pics! Red brake pipes! Wow!  And a nice rocker cover. No vacuum?

Sounds like mine was originally....I think...although only pic can find is this one..... (Seems to have an extra bleed nipple too..)
Vac pipe....pic was sometime ago, still being put together - Vacuum is there

Interesting.  That's a 3 way union, MC feed in at the top, rear brakes out at the bottom and feed to the servo out at the side. Except, the servo feed seems to be going into that strange bleed nipple arrangement. The pipe out the top of the bleed nipple thingy looks familiarly like the feed to the front brakes. So at a guess I would say the servo's not even in the loop! Difficult to tell from the photo.

I'd agree, the servo is not in the loop in that photo. You can clearly see the two holes where the pipes ought to attach. My guess is that somebody had trouble with the servo and decided to bypass it, but without a 2-way female union to hand, they had to use a 3-way and plug the third with... well a bleed nipple is one of the more obvious candidates.