Steve P

Anyone know what the range of resistance should be for a Herald sender,mine has 90 ohms with about 10 quids worth of fuel but the gauge doesn't move from zero.This car has been standing for 30 years but i know the arm moves as i had the tank apart before i ran it.
The temperature gauge is fine so the stabiliser must be working.
Steve

£10 worth of fuel = about 9 litres = about a quarter full?
I don't know what the resistance should be, but it should be maximum when completely empty, and 90 Ohms is the figure I've seen quoted for other Triumphs for 'Empty'.

Agree with Steve's suggestion, then work with a multimeter, or just a bulb and leads, to find where the volts go.

John

peterhlewis wrote:
dont forget there are 2 senders for stabilised and non stabilised  fuel gauges so resistance is different on both types of sender,  
Pete

How do you know witch one you have?
I have just got a 1200 tank for my 13/60 will this work as sender units are getting hard to get arnt they?

Andy

The 12V unstabilised sender was only produced with 6 holes for fitting with screws.
The 10V sender was available initially with the same 6-screws for fitting, later it was made with a lockring fitting.

Original 12V senders always have "12V" engraved on their outside faces, however later replacements may differ.
10V senders come in many different flavours, I am uncertain if any have the voltage recorded on the outside.

As we get even woolier, all 12V senders have stud terminals with nuts.
Most 10V senders have a spade fitting, but, I can't be certain that the earliest ones were made this way.

Good luck,

Cheers,
Bill.

just looked at mine , wavy needle non stabilised and sender is  six hole FT3331/06   (64 vitesse)  

suprised at the lack of availability , many sites show as NLA   for H & V applications

to make it harder both types are shown as 6 hole fixing being a posibility,  
  but as the lock ring bayonet type was a later design you could take a guess that they are for the slow moving stabilised gauges
( but thats my guess)

you can fit the 6 hole sender in a bayonet ring fitting buy cutting around the fixing holes to be small enough to fit inside the lock rim
but you cant make a bayonet fit a 6 hole flange ( just some ideas )    Pete

• 2 months later...

you could fit a non stabilised fuel gauge with a non stabilised feed ..???  using the  12v 6 hole non stabilised sender  
leaving  the temp gauge to run on the stabiliser,

I guess you could add a wire wound resitor into the sender wire to re calibrate the readings by trial and error ( thinks a search in old practical radio mag)   Maplins ?    but unlikely to correct E 1/2 F to be all correct

just a thought   Pete  

Archived