Running the fuel pipe round the back of the head

sinicl

Does anyone have pictures of their re-routed fuel line from the pump round the back of the head to the carbs? I'm just trying to visualize the best way to go about this.
Do I just come out of the (mechanical) fuel pump, take a 90 degree bend and go straight up the block before another 90 degree bend and then wrap round the back of the head? Or is it better to try and do a gentle curve from the pump to head and minimise any sharp turns?

Cheers
Simon

I have been running through this exact same question in my head over the last few days!  :) I am going to replace all of the copper fuel lines with modern rubber ones that won't absorb the heat.
But then I was thinking does having the fuel line in front or behind the head actually make any difference at all? The only reason to not have it at the front that I can think of it to get the fuel line away from the hot radiator. But then having it at the back, that is where all the hot air will end up as it flows through the engine bay anyway..... so does it actually make a difference??

Not sure that routing pipe behind head is that great an idea, personally. Had a prang in the Vitesse once and the engine got pushed back into the bulkhead, squashing and disrupting the various pipes and cables there. On mine the petrol pipe comes up next to the dizzy and across the front in a little P-clip.

The pipe runs very close to the rocker cover, where it's not likely to be hit by things low down. So when you crash into a bollard or a 4x4 bumper or such, the chassis and front pulley take the impact, pushing the engine back without getting near the fuel pipe. With the fuel pipe at the back, sandwiched between the engine and the bulkhead, it's a lot more vulnerable to that sort of crash.

That said, Dolomites had the fuel pipe run round the back of the head, but of course the hole in the bulkhead is rather bigger on them.

I run mine around the back of the head. Looks tidier and just makes logical sense.

My GT6 is an early Mk1 so has the glass bowl fuel pump, which can be split in half and the top half turned 180 degrees before reassembling it, effectively reversing the pump. So my OUT line goes straight to the bulkhead from the pump and I only use a hard line for the bit connected to the bulkhead itself, otherwise the engine flexing/rocking would destroy the pipe. Soft fuel pipe used for the "flexible" bits.

10402 wrote:
Not sure that routing pipe behind head is that great an idea, personally. Had a prang in the Vitesse once and the engine got pushed back into the bulkhead, squashing and disrupting the various pipes and cables there. On mine the petrol pipe comes up next to the dizzy and across the front in a little P-clip.

Sound like a safty feature. pipe get squashed and fuel is gut off  :)

Routing the pipe across the rear of the head is something I had to do when I was running twin 1.25 Strombergs on an Alexander manifold; the intake for fuel into the carbs pointed back towards the bulkhead and not forward as the original Solex did. I just looped the fuel pipe back where it came out of the fuel pump and across the rear of the head, with a P-clip attached to a suitable mounting point. I have photos somewhere that are proving elusive at present but if I find them I’ll post.

Got mine routed across the rear (all braided ST-ST from mech pump as well) - will post a pic or two tomorrow......assuming I remember that is

I've had no issues with heat/vapourisation etc... and I am not shy with the right foot, so gets pretty warm. Also been on RR and fuel flow is more than adequate right through the range for the HS6's fitted.