Nick Tucker

Hi all.
New on here. 5 months into ownership of a 1971 Vitesse Convertible.
Today I had a nice drive home with the roof down. Then thought I'd have a look at my fuel leak. Wish I had looked here first as I tried to undo the drain plug!!!!!!. Bad move apparently!. Oh yes its running out now. B*****r!. Trying to get tank out now and its not having it. have read how here but with the tank as high as I can get it, the drain bolt is still the heads thickness thru the bottom hole?. bit stumped at the mo!
Tomorrows looking fun.
Cheers Nick.

Whilst you have it out it might be well worth taking it to a place to be cleaned and lined. I took my tank to a local place near the docks who does radiators and fuel tanks. It cost me £60 and he cleaned it out, treated inside and pressure tested it.

Disconnect the stay, then take out the small bracket it's attached to.
Push the drain plug up through the floor - be prepared to push the floor downward to gain clearance in some cases. Once clear, swing the front lower end of the tank in towards the centre of the boot.
Now you can slide the back end of the tank downwards and into the boot, pulling the filler neck through it's opening as you go.

It gets simpler once you've done it a few hundred times...

Cheers,
Bill.

Quoted from ferny
Oh, and wait until you have to put it back, with its grommet...

Grommet fitted in the wing first.
Lots of Autoglym's Vinyl & Rubber Care as a lubricant, push the neck through the grommet then reverse the removal sequence.
It's always easier getting them back in,

Cheers,
Bill.

Quoted from ferny
I obviously don't have the knack. If I do it that way I always push the grommet out. If I try and feed it on when the tank is in I always get a little bit sweary....

When I fitted my tank back I forgot to put the grommet in, and got sweary then. After doing it from the outside I swore more!

"Who's F***Kin idea was this!?" was said more than once.

Hi. Guys. Thanks for the reply's. All sorted and back in twice. had the plug cut off and hole welded up. Put a couple of litres in and no leak Yip1. easy put back without plug. Put rest of can in and leaked again!!!!!. Few choice words were emitted >. They did it again today and in again. No leak Yip2!. Anyway it was a good chance to replace the over riders while out so she looks blinging on her rear.
Thanks again Nick.
Ps whoever designed that hopefully had a good talking too!