float height too high - sometimes ????

Rich_s

Cry for help, this car is annoying the hell out of me for past few weeks!

few weeks ago it started playing up but only for a few seconds, basically ran like i had lost 2 cyls but cleared and was fine again for a few days, last week it did it and would only run if i left the choke on about 10mm out and could just get to 40mph slowly and no power.

i did a comp test and all at 150, rebuilt carbs twice and all was ok, removed new plugs and fitted old ones and fitted old float needles and it started up and ran fine so though i had found the problem, all week fine then today i drove up a big hill no problem, coasted down other side then wouldnt accelerate again, pulled choke out about 3-5mm and it would run fine and accelerate without any problem, but only if i left the choke on.

new plugs and float valves installed today and its still doing it, removed air box to check the the pistons move and found when i lift the font one fuel comes out the jet, so seems the fuel level is too high, but how on earth could it do this while driving along and sometimes work and sometimes not ??????????

any help appreciated as at the moment i would be happy if i woke up tomorrow to find some bugger had nicked it as really pi$$ing me off.........

rich

its the front carb causing the problem, its not overflowing out of the overflow just the main jet.

fuel pump is original and never been a problem so presume its ok.

bowl is in correct position as well,

doing my nut in that it can be fine for 200 miles then play up for 20 and refuse to run properly :(

thanks
rich

I remember someone mentioning that this symptom could be caused by crud in the tube between the float bowl and the jet. Did you flush the as part of you carb rebuild? They also said that sometimes the seal on that tube at the float bowl could be incorrectly placed and partly block the tube meaning fuel is starved.

Andy

nope float is fine and empty.

yes all tubes and jets blown through and no blockages at all, seems i am getting too much fuel as its overflowing into the carb body and somehow lowering the jet (pulling choke slightly) the level drops and stops flowing out, very weird, and as for why it comes and goes i dont know .

the tube into the float bowl has not been taken out since was fitted a few years ago.

junkuser wrote:
It does sound like the float valve is catching intermittently.

this is the only thing i can think of as well, although cant see anything it can catch on.

fuel pump does have a filter and was removed and cleaned last weekend in an attempt to fix the problem last time :(

thanks
rich

I had this problem in 2012. I went over everything, plugs, jets, floats, needle valves, filters, fuel tank and lines, ignition..... Exactly the same symptoms.

Turned out the fuel pump had an intermittent fault. One of the valves was breaking from its mount. It meant that when set the fuel was too low in the bowl, when it worked properly, it overfilled the bowl. This combined with needle after needle that leaked confused the issue. In the end the lest set of needle valves and a new fuel pump (because it had finally failed totally) solved the problem.

The problem. A combination of intermittent faults combined with an inability to set the carbs properly.
My GT6 had a similar intermittent fault on its 'new' pump. every so often the arm slipped off the cam, so no fuel. A NOS pump solved the problem (thicker arm).

a_turner_carbs wrote:
Fuel out of the main jet is a  pressurised float chamber, check that the breather isn't blocked.

didnt even think about that! suppose i presumed the whole was so big it wouldnt block, will take them off over the weekend if the rain holds off and see how it looks.

thanks
rich

Rich, you mentioned that you have a plastic float and it appears to be set lower than you feel it should be.
This could mean that the angle of contact with the needle is pushing the needle sideways resulting in abnormal wear or not approaching the jet correctly.
If there is a dimple in the plastic where it contacts the needle, the situation would be aggravated.

Not saying this is a likely cause, but you seem to have covered the more likely ones so looking for canaries rather than sparrows.    

The needle designs vary.  The full brass ones and the soft nose ones can develop grooves where they contact the jet. This, combined with the contact angle, could cause the problem.

The spring loaded ones can vary due to getting muck in them.  

I sympathize with your frustrations,
Mal.

932 wrote:
nope, its got the plastic ones that cant be altered, but the float height gap is more than the book says so if anything the fuel level should be lower than std..... the mind boggles!

With the plastic floats you alter the fuel level by placing extra washers under the valve.
If this fails then start looking at what pressure the pumps putting out. If the bypass valve is faulty then it could be too high a pressure.

further developments.
been out this morning and took the front carb float bowl apart, all seem ok but i cleaned it all up and noticed the flot edges were quite rough so smoothed them up and tried again, still running badly without choke but no overflowing.

next i thought i would take out the fuel filter just in case, tried that and all seemed to work and no issues, ha ha i thought.......but no, i had started it up using choke and then took it off and was balancing carbs and couldnt get them right without a really high tickover, then noticed the choke had not shut off completely on the rear carb, as soon as i pushed it in and fixed the problem it ran crap again :(

so i then checked fuel levels in bowls and needle length in case one had dropped and all was identical, then looked inside the carbs and saw this:   front carb you can clearly see the fuel level and rear carb you cant, so guessing there is something in the jet somewhere stopping fuel coming through.....

I think it may now be working..... but i have said this before ;D

took it apart and there was something blocking the jet, seems to have been a bit of the papertowel type stuff i cleaned them out with so my fault :( put back together, fuel could then bee seen in jet and it ran but not as well as it should and wouldnt without at least a bit of choke, then remembered i have altered the jet heights to the std 2.5 turns out, so i set this back to what it was before i started, 4.5 turns out, and now it runs as it should, so tickover set and carbs balanced and running loads better.

so from start to finish it has had new plugs, air filters, fuel filters cleaned out, fuel pipe broke down inside so been replaced, piston dampers topped up, carbs completely rebuilt twice and lots of gunk removed, new float valves as old ones were leaking and one final problem of the thermostat starting to fail and opening at higher temps than it was.

have noticed the fan belt needs changing as well, i have a new one to go on but not sure if i dare touch anything else heheheheheheh

thanks
rich

thats what i would think as well, but not the case, the last mot a few months ago said it was actually running a bit lean!

it did seem like the first 2 turns hardly lowered it at all though, also the jet bearing doesnt sit flush with the bridge either like i thought it should do, the bottom pic above shows it sort of.

not sure if someone has fitted different needles at some point but the plugs are normally light tan and doing about 40mpg so seems ok, or did before last 2 weeks or pain hehehehe

rich

thats where i have had a problem on my carbs, the bearing is not flush and when fully screwed in the jet is not flush with the bridge either, so have just had to play around until the plugs are the right colour, which seams about 4.5 turns from fully in and half way between the top of bridge and top of bearing....