John Kipping single SU testing?

andycon67

I talked to Dave about this a few months back regarding my small crank 1300 rebuild. According to rolling road data gained in the 80's by Kipping, one single HS6 on a Dolly/Tolly manifold (machined out to 1 3/4" from 1 1/2" at the carb end) gave out the same power as twin HS2's, but with increased torque and economy. This setup is what Dave runs Canley's Courier on. I will be fitting this on my new engine, saves balancing carbs and I have the bits already!

Richard_B wrote:
Any ideas/photo's on sourcing the throttle linkage?

Jessica is planning this for her Coupe.

I have all the throttle linkage , cable, spacer taken from the mini but bolted onto the dolly manifold with the inlet board out to 1 3/4 HIF SU metro carb.

Andy

Nick_Moore wrote:
I tried to fit a Toledo inlet manifold to my 1360 once after JK told me about it, but it didn't fit around the extractor primaries  :-(

Fitted every decent set of extractors we have ever tried this combination with (see picture above).

What brand of manifold did you encounter problems with?

Slimboyfat wrote:

Fitted every decent set of extractors we have ever tried this combination with (see picture above).
What brand of manifold did you encounter problems with?

Actually, I think it was an early Kipping design c.1993! It was imported by Renown Triumph in Christchurch (New Zealand), and Kippings was where Terry sourced most of his parts. It's still on the car and working perfectly, which says a great deal about the build quality. The primaries simply come out too far from the head before turning down. It fits a twin 1.5" SU manifold perfectly though, giving me the excuse to run twin SUs on a 1300  8)

So is the manifold in the picture.

Its one of the early mild steel ones that we stopped selling over 15 years ago, but to all intents and purposes exactly the same as the stainless one we sell now (same jig, same manufacturer).

The manifold was originally fitted to one of our other Couriers back in the 90's. Its now in our blue Courier I'm currently using as my everyday mota.