Fitting window seal on door

john136070

Help!!!
Has anyone got a tip on how to fit the clips that hold the outer window seal on the top edge of the door. My car is a convertible but I assume all Heralds are probably the same. I have bought new clips from Rimmers and have struggled for ages..... must be a better way than I am doing things.
Thanks
John

All currently available outer door weatherstrips are aftermarket of one style or another. These need to be matched to clips of the right thickness, the original clip design is too narrow for most of the current types.
Post a photograph of the weatherstrip and clip to establish which types you have,

Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks for the replies. The seal is original but the clips are new so probably not compatible. I have made a tool but it requires far more "pull" than the picture would imply. I like the idea of the string will reduce the amount of swearing.
I assume that the two edges are put together then the clip pulled over them both, is that right?
John  

Quoted from john136070
Thanks for the replies. The seal is original but the clips are new so probably not compatible. I have made a tool but it requires far more "pull" than the picture would imply. I like the idea of the string will reduce the amount of swearing.
I assume that the two edges are put together then the clip pulled over them both, is that right?
John  

Yes that's right. You've done well to find original seals, they've been obsolete for about 30 years.
There should be no problem with the clips, the usual problem is suppliers selling the original clips which don't fit the modern seals.

Make sure the clips line up with the narrowed slots in the seal and they should pull into place with a firm pull. You'll need to apply plenty of downward pressure on the seal to stop it riding up as the clip's pulled into place.

Cheers,
Bill.