Mk IV Spit Door Gap adjuster

Ceaser

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi, re-using an old thread to double check something :)

Can the doors easily be opened and closed while this tool is in position? I'm planning to have my body tub on saw horses for quite some time this winter while working on the chassis and want to have something available to minimise sag when working inside the tub for longer periods of time with the door opened or removed. I guess one of these placed in the door gap should make it safer to work on the tub if only one door is opened at a time?
Cheers,
Oskar

With the tool in place, it's impossible to close the door. So it's not possible to check the gap with the tool in place The final result here was a poor fit. The next time i use the tool i would first carefully check with the door in place, and then force the body in the right place with the adjuster. I might be tempted to use brute force with the adaptor on the finished car to get the quarter inch that would be needed for a nice fit.

2157 wrote:
With the tool in place, it's impossible to close the door.

WIth the correct "Doopr gap Adjuster" Tool it is quite easy to open and close the door with the adjuster in situ. This allows you to adjust the fit as you go.

Don't trust a side with the door fitted and no gap adjuster, if doing floor/sills, as the bodywork will sag....  :'(

Best get two, or weld some braces in when the gap is correct!