That was a close one. Hopefully!

Rutty

The Vitesse is all prepped, polished and ready to go. All needed to to do is work out how to attach the rally plates. So I experimenting 2 hours ago with a old rally plate trying to tease a cable tie out from just in front of the radiator and the next thing I know is I have coolant pouring out of the front of the radiator. Panic stations and a lot of swearing at my stupidity the wife comes running to see what has gone wrong expecting to see me squashed under the car. Luckily I have a spare radiator but its completely untested and in an unknow condition.  1 1/2  hours later the spare radiator has been flushed and fitted  and a test drive even getting stuck in a traffic jam for 10 minuets after a fast run it is cooling perfectly. But it does seem to have a tiny weep in the middle the question is Radweld or go with it as it is. Panic over.

Mark

Mark, due to carelessness I made two pinholes in the TR radiator on the 2012 RBRR. I added some Bar's Leaks and fitted a lower pressure (4lbs) rad cap and got round OK. When home I removed the radiator and carefully cleaned around the holes after which I fluxed them and carefully ran some solder over them. This repair is still going strong after 9 years.

Good luck to you and all the C2C entrants this weekend, I hope all complete the trip OK and only wish I were joining you.

Tim 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rutty said:

trying to tease a cable tie out from just in front of the radiator and the next thing I know is I have coolant pouring out of the front of the radiator. Panic stations and a lot of swearing at my stupidity 

Sounds like a bit of good fortune to me - if the rad was that fragile, it could have gone at any time - and likely would have been at a much more inconvient time/place!  

If the weep is minor, as others have said, pack water and radseal (Kseal is likely to be more effective) then monitor the situation after the run to the start.

Have fun!

14 hours ago, Chriss said:

I only wish you were joining us, Tim

Thanks Chris. You have done a simply outstanding job to put this event on having had to adapt to ever changing guidelines. I wish it every success and whilst 50 would have been nice I reckon the current 30 entries is excellent under the circumstances.

Tim 

16 hours ago, Rutty said:

The Vitesse is all prepped, polished and ready to go. All needed to to do is work out how to attach the rally plates. So I experimenting 2 hours ago with a old rally plate trying to tease a cable tie out from just in front of the radiator and the next thing I know is I have coolant pouring out of the front of the radiator. Panic stations and a lot of swearing at my stupidity the wife comes running to see what has gone wrong expecting to see me squashed under the car. Luckily I have a spare radiator but its completely untested and in an unknow condition.  1 1/2  hours later the spare radiator has been flushed and fitted  and a test drive even getting stuck in a traffic jam for 10 minuets after a fast run it is cooling perfectly. But it does seem to have a tiny weep in the middle the question is Radweld or go with it as it is. Panic over.

Mark

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264819099622?hash=item3da872c7e6:g:a3QAAOSwyo1fKW9u

This stuff actually works Mark. Even on a Stag....

Tony.

4 hours ago, mikeyb said:

If the weep is minor, as others have said, pack water and radseal (Kseal is likely to be more effective) then monitor the situation after the run to the start.

Have fun!

Its only lost about a couple of table spoons full over night so I am going with it as it is. Water and Radseal packed just in case.

Hoping to have lots of fun🙂

• Like 1