Blown gasket on exhaust downpipe

SteveSpitfire1500

Car now sounds like a tractor and lost a fair bit of power, and started to cook my legs because of all the hot gasses under the bonnet ! Can clearly see the gasket has blown on the downpipe so I've ordered this kit to fix it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3512.....e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Quick question, what looks to be a copper gasket in the kit? , does this need any sort of sealant when it's fitted or do I just bolt it up tightly ? Thanks

OK, so different views . Maybe worth me putting some firegum on then? I notice it's only 4 quid at Halfords. I'll be really interested if getting this fixed stops the footwells of the car getting so hot? I've played around with the heater because I thought it was coming form there, but the valve is definately working to stop hot water coming into the heater, so I'm really hoping this will fix that problem too !

Thanks for all the replies . I've also ordered the back clamp that holds the pipe about 2/3 of the way down the car as I've noticed that is missing, so I'm hoping that will stop it breaking again anytime soon, but yes sounds like a sensible idea to have some spares in case it goes again ! Not sure I'm up to doing any modifications, but I may ask DB Carbs in Nottingham to have a look next time it goes in. I was convinced I'd done some bad damage to it yesterday so was actually quite relieved when I could see what it was !

Quoted from piman
Hello Mark,

it sounds as if your flange(s) were not true, it's not a weak point generally. For what it's worth I never use any sealant or paste on such copper gaskets.

Alec

Agree with Alec, if the flanges are not parallel you'll never get a satisfactory seal, sealant or not.
Tony.

The exhaust mount at the bellhousing makes matter worse, if you see the exhaust as a large lever, this puts a fulcrum point closer to the vulnerable joint. I was changing this gasket every 3000 miles on my wife's old Dolomite 1500, until I read about the problems caused by that mounting.

Cheers,
Bill.