original 2.5 V8 with Fuel injection

Martins Stag

Thanks, Floyd!

But StagNL, I am far from surprised if "the torque on the 2.5 PI variant wasn't good" - the butterflies for each TWO 312cc cc cylinders, 624cc, look to be the same size or smaller than an inlet for a 2.5 straight six, and that supplies 417cc.    The design was strangled at birth!

John

Surely small butterflies would strangle top-end power but have little effect on low-down torque. Besides, the PI throttles are over-sized, really. At a wild guess I'd say those butterflies look around 1.5" - HS4 size - which means it will breathe as easily as a 1500 Spitfire engine even on a 3 litre.

I don't know how the bore/stroke of the 2.5 compared to the 3.0 but...
The Rover K-series V6 2.0 has the same bore as the 2.5 but a very short stroke. It's also got a dismally mild cam because with anything sensible it had no low-end torque at all. Would rev its nuts off and put out nearly the same power as its big brother... as long as they increased the rev limit to 9000 or more.

A highly-tuned small engine that revs nicely can give lots of power. If you want good torque, there really is no substitute for cubes.

VVT helps.....but we are talking old engines here. Just think, that mild cam in the V6 could become very interesting if it could be controlled. Also some clever stuff going on with inlet tracts.

On that prototype inlet, 1 3/4 butterflies should be good for well over 200bhp. They won't be the restriction. Not so sure about the inlet design itself...