Brighter dash lights in a PFL Mk.II?

Dave2000

Pre facelift.  No rubber bits on the bumpers, lower ride height etc.

It may be that the glass of your original bulbs has just gone a bit black, restricting the light output.  Take them out for a look.  You could also try bypassing the dimmer switch in case that's a bit dodgy.

The dash on a 2000 is hardly 'Tokyo by night' as on modern cars (and all the better for that) but if all is well, the dials should be adequately illuminated.

Maplins or RS Components may be able to supply brighter bulbs.  Must admit I've never taken an instrument bulb out of my car  - aren't they some sort of bizarre screw fitting, probably quite an unusual size these days?

I had to be careful with the headlights when I got it as they were halogens and had no relays, so the mainbeam was just darkness when tried for the the first time....in the dark.

I would agree that the alternator I replaced was not so good, also I know Dave's car is a standard 2000, mine has the added current draw of injection pump and the halogens, which IMHO is very touch and go with a standard 28amp alternator.

Colin

Halogens at 55/60 watt are a little higher current consumers than sealed beam headlights at 45/60 watt, 20 watts is a good way towards 2amps which all adds up with a 28amp alternator.
Bad connections won't help and all lamps including the ones for dial illumination degrade over time so a new set at not much cost will show an improvement. When I changed the lamps on the pi they were filthy dirty too, even though they had only sat in the back of a dial!

Colin.

The fancy coloured led's can be bought from car parts stores and are 12 volts, so no resisters are needed. You will have to modify your origional screw in bulbs to take the led's, by removal of the glass and soldering the led in its place, but be sure they are the right way round as they are diodes at the end of the day, and wont work backwards.

Have you checked the earths to the bulbs, they can work up quite a resistance around the knurled nuts that hold the guage retaining clamps. These should have little anti vibration split washers on them and usually have gone missing over the years.

b

Archived