Estate tailgate rubber

mikew

DJB_Harvey wrote:
Fetching a good price too !

yes I suspect this could eclipse the £150 that Lee sold the last one for (to Fuzzy) and its not new.

That's the problem with the remaining nos parts for the 2000s as there is no one manufacturing much, the irreplaceable items are becoming very costly. Its going to put otherwise good cars off the road sooner or later.

I suspect we will have to join forces with Ted Taylor and create a spares fund to invest in the remanufacture of otherwise unobtainium parts, but its a question of what and how much

If a parts club/group (which I will be starting a thread on next week) gets started this is one of the things we would need to investigate the re-manufacture of (IF it can be done). I will need to acquire a really good rubber like this as a pattern.  I also need one for the Mk1 PI estate ..........

Ted

thescrapman wrote:
I can't help but think the seller is a regular on this forum.

Perhaps one that has just acquired another stash of 2000 parts??

Cheers

If it is someone off this forum, I have to be honest, I thought he might have talked to me, knowing how much I need one of these!!!

Never mind, open market and all that..................

Hope I get it otherwise I'm down to gluing about 20 knackered sections together!

1526 wrote:
If a parts club/group (which I will be starting a thread on next week) gets started this is one of the things we would need to investigate the re-manufacture of (IF it can be done). I will need to acquire a really good rubber like this as a pattern.  I also need one for the Mk1 PI estate ..........

Ted

I floated this idea on the 2000 forum a few years ago, and got no where - it needs a man of your calibre.

But count me in, AND I'll contribute a few hundred quid to kick it off.

1526 wrote:

Ted

It can be done.

Cost will be the issue, but at least cheap tooling (i.e. not volume, expensive) could be used.

All vehicle systems suppliers use either their own, in-house or external prototype manufacturers.  Just a case of finding one who wants to help  :)

AlanChatterton wrote:

If it is someone off this forum, I have to be honest, I thought he might have talked to me, knowing how much I need one of these!!!

I can think of only 1 person in WGC likely to be selling (and buying!) Triumph parts and that is Doug Thompson.

And if it is him he probably hadn't realised you were still looking.

He is always worth a shout for any 2000 parts having had so many through his hands.

I dread to think how many rubber seals we discarded when we cleared out the garages at Brundish, there was probably estate tailgate seals amongst them... :-(

Cheers

mikew wrote:

I floated this idea on the 2000 forum a few years ago, and got no where - it needs a man of your calibre.

But count me in, AND I'll contribute a few hundred quid to kick it off.

Thanks Mike.  I will be posting something next week and also contacting all members who had windscreens with ideas.

Thanks Jim, from experience in the past in other fields of design/manufacture I have found there are so often ways to get round these problems.  It often needs a bit of lateral thinking about production methods and suppliers - and a lot of asking around!  I am aware that this one won't be easy but ....... we will be needing a good pattern so we have a problem :-/.

Ted

The one I sold on Ebay didn't go to Fuzzy
Sold it to register member called Ian .

I also lent the aforementioned seal to Alan to see if it could be remanufactured but Alan had no joy

The one sold on Ebay actually made more than £150  ,think was £180 and buyer was highly delighted .
I am sure that I originally had 3 NOS ones so I Will check and see and if I have I could loan as a pattern again if required

DJB_Harvey wrote:
Well it's sold ... I wonder who's won that at nearly £200 ! .... Silly money for a used one ...

Dave,

supply and demand - if you need one that's what a secondhand one is worth. Crazy, 2 years ago I paid under half that for NOS

If we don't get to re-manufacture parts like this at sensible prices then it will be the end of the 2000s as most people cannot afford to pay these prices, and then the cars get scrapped.

It happened to NOS TR parts, now its 2000 parts. the factory supply has finished now, so its up to the clubs and their members to re-manufacture at sensible costs and keep these cars on the road

DJB_Harvey wrote:
Well it's sold ... I wonder who's won that at nearly £200 ! .... Silly money for a used one ...

NOT if you have not got a good one and it is the only option to stop the back of your car filling with water. Alan and I did discuss the potential price because we were both in need of seals for special Mk1 estates but Alan luckily had a friend who was able to let him have one at a sensible price (wish I had such friends  :'().

As Mike says supply and demand ...... especially when there is no supply!  Would MUCH prefer to have paid less but had no choice - and it does give us the option of having a good one within the 'spares group' if it happens (sign the Poll if anyone has not done so yet) to see about re-manufacture or adapting an alternative.

All I need to pay for this is to get the money paid to the B*st*rd from Bedford who took my money for an SAH rocker cover and then did not send it - probably sold to someone else or left on a car that he sold.  I am going legal on this, Small Claims and probably the Police for fraud - you never know it might work!  

Ted (now very much Mad Uncle Ted but not about the seal)

Thanks Alan.  Especially as I may need another because there may be a Mk 2 estate in the offing to use as a general hack and make life easier for the Mk1.  If it materialises that one will also be interesting even though a '2500TC', with lots of CW suspension, brake and tuning goodies on it.

Must sell my project PI saloon first though, and also the Chevvy engine, not just to fund it but to keep long suffering wifey happy!

Ted