Tow-bar electrics

daver clasper

Hi folks

Just fitting a tow bar to the Vitesse to tow a trailer or maybe a small basic caravan in the future.

Looking on the net, it seems moderns need more "things" for the wiring and for the use of high tech caravans.

Cant find anything for old cars.

Can I just tap into the the main loom in the boot, or is there more to it, due to the extra lights using more amps and would the indicators still work ok and be safe.

Any advice much appreciated, electrics I find complicated even though it's supposed to be simple.

Cheers, Dave  

I have a towbar electrics socket inside the boot of my Spitfire (long story) and that is just connected to the existing wires that supply the lights, indicators and brakelights.  It works okay, although the indicators flash a bit more quickly when a trailer board is plugged in.

By law you need a device to tell you if the trailer indicators (or brake lights?) are working or not. This is usually a reed relay connected to a warning light you should mount on the dashboard.  I'll let you guess as to whether I've got round to that yet....

You could do it for the price of a 12N type 7 pin socket, some wire and a few scotchlok connectors. You get a diagram in with the socket which shows what wire goes where.  I'm assuming you are not going for split charging and fridge feed for your trailer/caravan and need a 2nd auxiliary socket as well.

https://www.google.co.uk/searc.....rc=fyLdA2BTTT2OTM%3A

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/wiring_guides_watling_towbars.html

An old style electromechanic flasher unit will normally only run 4 lights - you can replace it with a modern unit that will run more lights.

If you only require stop lights and tail lights a simple single plug/socket will be enough - a 12N type.

I think it depends on the age of the caravan, so an old caravan or simple trailer and 12N will OK.  Modern caravan and or car and you need more complex stuff.

I would check out the caravan club for a pretty full write up. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022790/towbar-wiring-mo.pdf

Don't use Scotchloks...horrible things. I can't remember how many times I've traced wiring faults to these horror of all horrors.
I tend to do soldered joints and heat shrink sleeves when I do towbar wiring. Had no trouble personally with normal flasher units.
Don't forget to run a earth wire from both ends.
Tony.

Yu can get clever little boxes of electronics that are designed for modern cars with CANBUS ( ? ) wiring.

Ideally suited for classics as well. Just tap into the wiring for the inputs, and supply a decent 12v feed from the battery. The towbar socket connects to the outputs. They put no load on teh existing wiring.
They contained the required sqwarker as well for the indicators.

Yep, I've got CANBUS wiring on my modern's towbar.  Easy to fit but they can be pricey if Dave is on a budget.  Cheapest way is ebay for a 12N socket and some Scotchloks. Or Halfords if you are feeling flush.  Use grease-filled Scotchlocks if you want, or a squirt of WD40; remember the connections will be made inside the boot and not exposed to the elements. Mine, and the original flasher relay, have lasted for 15 years or so without a problem.

BTW - the Scotchlok principle is not inherently flawed if used properly with correct sized connectors for the cable size.  Almost everybody's telephone landline will have at least 2, if not more, insulation displacement connectors of that type used on them and this has been the case since the mid-1970's, with an extremely low failure rate.

Thanks so much for all your replies, has cleared up a lot of things

It's a Watling one off E Bay, that's complete and has a black 7 pin socket, so I think that's the 12N, the most basic one?.

Tony. When you said it needs earthing at both end I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The socket cable has a white wire which the Watling web page says is earth.
Does this wire earth to the carbody, as these cars don't have have earth wire,s running in the loom do they?.
If so is there another part that needs earthing please?.

Thanks again, Dave

Quoted from daver clasper
Thanks so much for all your replies, has cleared up a lot of things

It's a Watling one off E Bay, that's complete and has a black 7 pin socket, so I think that's the 12N, the most basic one?.

Tony. When you said it needs earthing at both end I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The socket cable has a white wire which the Watling web page says is earth.
Does this wire earth to the carbody, as these cars don't have have earth wire,s running in the loom do they?.
If so is there another part that needs earthing please?.

Thanks again, Dave

Sorry, what I meant was make sure you run a separate earth wire to the trailer too. Amazing how many run around here just relying on the towball connection as an earth. Jndicators on and brake lights flashing etc  
Tony.

Cheers for getting back Tony on that one.

Still not what this means.

I haven't got a trailer yet, but assume the trailer socket bit will have an earth, corresponding to the tow bar earth socket, so earthing to the car body.

I'm not good on electrics.

Do you mean run an extra/separate earth from trailer chassis, etc, to car body as a back up.

Cheers, Dave

Maybe "earth" the SOCKET on the car to its frame and the PLUG on the trailer to its frame.

i.e. both the socket and the plug best have a sound connection to the metal frames of each vehicle to which they are attached to complete the circuits satisfactorily.

(I wonder if this will just cause further confusion?)

Quoted from sparky_spit
I have a towbar electrics socket inside the boot of my Spitfire (long story) and that is just connected to the existing wires that supply the lights, indicators and brakelights.  ]

I have electrics socket mounted to the side of the bonnet hinge box on the front of Gt6, Short story, A frame !

Laurence