Indicator Problems - Electrical?

martinb

Have a problem with the indicators not working.  Have checked all fuses and they are fine.  The hazard warning lights work which seems to rule out the lights themselves and the flasher unit as the source of the problem.  All other electrical items seem to be working (headlights, horn, rear lights, number plate light, dash lights, cigarette lighter etc).

Any suggestions as to where the problem may lie?  Could it be an earth problem?  Or a problem with the indicator stalk switch?  (Other electricals on the same stalk work ok - ie horn and headlamp flash).  Or something I haven't thought about?

Could be worth removing your hazard light switch and cleaning the contacts on my 1500 the indicators work through that switch.
I sprayed contact cleaner in the switch then just pulled it in and out.

Hope this helps,
Alex

I had a similar problem with my GT6 last year - hazards working but no indicators.

From the wiring diagram, I worked out the indicators are wired 'through' the hazard switch.  Effectively, the switch actually completes the hazard circuit, while disconnecting the indicator circuit.  The switch had basically disintegrated, but I didn't find out until blowing a few fuses and flasher cans!

I hope this helps - just ask if I didn't explain it very well...

Cheers,

Nick.

On my late spit there are 2 flasher cans, one for hazards, one for indicators. Could well be the same for you? When I got it the indicators didn't work, a quick rummage forund an old spare hazard flasher can, which is still working perfectly nearly 2 years later.
I think one is fotted to the rear of the speedo, and one sort of clips to the dash support bar near the speedo, or at least thats whats on my motor.
As a quick check you can swap them over..........
Clive

Rained yesterday, car had the roof down for about 5 minutes, drove back home later that day and the horns started randomly going off when i wasnt pressing anything, I had to pull over and physically disconnect the wires to them.. any idea?

Assuming it ha he late type hornpush (on a stalk not in the steering wheel centre) then I would suspect the switch itself, or the wiring around the column.
With the car at home (or an isolated carpark) connect the horns up and start playing with things, wheel, switches etc, see what sets it off. That should help locate the problem. It may be a wire rubbed though its insulation or something similar.

Clive

cliftyhanger wrote:
On my late spit there are 2 flasher cans, one for hazards, one for indicators. Could well be the same for you? When I got it the indicators didn't work, a quick rummage forund an old spare hazard flasher can, which is still working perfectly nearly 2 years later.
I think one is fotted to the rear of the speedo, and one sort of clips to the dash support bar near the speedo, or at least thats whats on my motor.
As a quick check you can swap them over..........
Clive

Checked the wiring diagram again in the Haynes manual and you're right - two separate flasher cans.  Failed to spot this the first time!  I've located one easily, disconnected it and the hazards still work - so managed to isolate which one is for the indicators.  Didn't have enough time to locate the second flasher can to swap them around - a job for next weekend.

If you have to replace the flasher unit get a modern electronic one rather than an old style mechanical, far superior in performance.

Just go into Halfords with your old one and find the cheapest match, Mondeo I think.

martinb wrote:

Checked the wiring diagram again in the Haynes manual and you're right - two separate flasher cans.  Failed to spot this the first time!  I've located one easily, disconnected it and the hazards still work - so managed to isolate which one is for the indicators.  Didn't have enough time to locate the second flasher can to swap them around - a job for next weekend.

Was the flasher unit actually attached to the back of the dash ?
Thats where it gets its earth. I found this out after a week of messing around trying to solve the same problem.

Tom2000 wrote:
Rained yesterday, car had the roof down for about 5 minutes, drove back home later that day and the horns started randomly going off when i wasnt pressing anything, I had to pull over and physically disconnect the wires to them.. any idea?

If you have air horns the relays knackered....ask me how Iknow :B

I took the test for my driver's license at age 16 in the GT6 (chosen to make the parallel parking test easy) - during the driving portion with the cop in the passenger seat directing maneuvers, the horn went off randomly on a left turn.  The test could be failed on equipment failures on the car.

GT6:  BEEEEEEP
Cop:  What was that?
Me:  mmm, huh?
Cop:  That sounded like the horn!
Me:  I dunno.

It was the only time the horn malfunctioned, and the most I've ever sweated in the GT6.

Thanks 811500

My indicators gave up the ghost last night on the way to work for no apparent reason,hazards were still ok.

your tip saved a lot of messing about and fault finding, I just pushed the flasher unit back into it's mounting clip under the dash and Hey Presto ;D working indicators.

Thanks for the info.

Jamie wrote:

Was the flasher unit actually attached to the back of the dash ?
Thats where it gets its earth. I found this out after a week of messing around trying to solve the same problem.

Intersting....the flasher unit is just hanging by its wires, not fixed to anything, so maybe thats the problem.  Hopefully will have time to check at the weekend.

Archived