A few electrical issues...

Spitfire1500

Afternoon all,

Almost sorted out my electrical gremlins - I tried a spare starter motor I had and I couldn't get my Spitfire going.

I thought it was the battery so I charged it up and still no go, so I got a new recon starter motor and it started (yay) cue two days later and the battery needs charging again...

I had it tested by the local Halfords and they confirmed that it was nackered. So I got the biggest battery I could find off their shelf yester and today she fired up fine. Unfortunately, no charge, I tested the charging circuit by putting my hazards on and grimaced as it went down to 12.6v and continued dropping.

Today, I went to a local motor factors, got an alternator to suit the battery, connected everything up (after having to straighten up the long alternator bolt) and all was well and I saw the battery climb to 14v when I tested with a multimeter and hazards on...yay.

Only thing left to do is to find out why my right hand front indicator isn't working, as well as why my brake and fasten seatbelts light aren't working. The indicator bulb seems to be fine, so I think I might have a bad earth somewhere. Only other thing is getting my radio working as well.

You wouldn't believe the trouble I had getting the old alternator off!

Also, remember to connect the first HT lead..I forgot it and heard an almighty snap wondering what on earth it was!

Kind Regards,

David

I suspect the sliding contacts for the motor become a bit funny over time with them David, if you take it out, give them a good check as well. My heater is perculiar in that it only has 1 speed (should be two), and when you pull the control out fully, you usually have to waggle it a bit to engage the motor. Doesn't bother me as I'd only ever have it on full speed if I needed it, but its on the minor jobs list to do eventually.

Trying to get to the bottom of my electrical gremlins - right hand side front indicator and rear one remain on (must be an earth issue) sidelights don't work (fuse or bulbs are faulty) rear lights don't work (fuse or bulbs again), reverse lights don't work (fuse or bulb|) but brake lights are fine!

I suppose the first thing I should do is check the fuses as this seems more of a reasonable reason why a lot of the lights don't work!

Kind Regards,

David

David, I have just been working on my reversing lights and I found that one of the problems I had apart from them not being connected was the actual bulb holders, there seems to be a weak area right where the inner copper strip (earth) meets the tin piece the grips the light cluster, to get around this I pushed some soft metal between the join and they worked. I quite sure that these are all on the same fuse check the fuses to rule them out swap pulbs about to check them also and you can swap bulb holders around aswell (reverse and indicators use the same holder).

Many thanks for your reply Rob,

Just a shame I won't be driving into work today - I was quite looking forwards to that! I can't risk the potential car crashes etc when people can't tell what I am doing; and electrical lighting system is very critical anyway!

On the subject of bulb holders, I'm led to believe that corrosion has reduced the current so much hence my left hand indicators taking a year to flash. Could well be a bad flasher unit as well - so I'll probably order one of these anyway.

Bad earth might be a likely culprit for the indicator behaviour as well - at one point the sidelight was staying on whilst the right hand front indicator was on!

I'm going to spend tomorrow evening seeing if I can get some way in to testing bulbs, the earths, new fuses as well as bulbholders.

I'll try your reverse lamp soft metal trick as well if necessary!

Kind Regards,

David

Many thanks for your reply Colin,

That sounds like a good idea - the only alternative would be for me to create my own earths I suppose.

Since I need to get a flasher relay and a few other bits and bobs, I may as well give the 2000/2500 bulb holders a go.

Many thanks and kind regards,

David

Sorry to bump, it looks like Rimmers do the same bulb-holders for the Spitfire and the 2000/2500/Pi, if the pictures are anything to go by..but I wonder if they can guarantee delivery for this weekend (as Canleys etc. don't seem to do the bulb holders).

Although there don't seem to be 'front' bulb holders, I'm happy to make the necessary earth myself for the front ones if necessary though.

Oh, on a related note, my lh headlamp is much dimmer than my rh headlamp - does this constitute more earthing woes, or a bulb issue?

Kind regards,

David

David,
Re Lh headlamp: certainly sounds like an earth problem. Check the connections to the bonnet in front of the radiator.
                                                                        Cheers,
                                                                        Paul

Spitfire1500 wrote:
Sorry to bump, it looks like Rimmers do the same bulb-holders for the Spitfire and the 2000/2500/Pi, if the pictures are anything to go by..but I wonder if they can guarantee delivery for this weekend (as Canleys etc. don't seem to do the bulb holders).

I think Paddocks also supply these bulb holders.

Archived