Replacement battery

grahamgooner

I can't exactly remember the car model battery that I fitted but it was basically the largest battery that would fit into the battery box. Vectra/Monego diesel spring to mind. I got the battery from Halfords (don't want to start an argument about pros and cons) but the battery has served well. The standard battery was replaced by a similar one that didn't seem up to the job. The battery from Halfords has been fantastic. The car is used weekends only and I do crank the car for 20-30 seconds before firing up to help conserve the bearings. The standard battery was never up to this.

The only issue is that the terminals on this particular battery are reversed from standard but that is no big deal. I do use the battery clamp but the battery is not going anywhere without it as it is a tight fit! I used to have to charge the standard battery every now and then even when it was new. This battery has never needed charging. It has so much more ooompphhh......

Neil

I have a heavy duty astra one in mine, works fantastic. Again from halfords. Nice easy no quibble 4 year g/tee. Take it back knackered after 3years and they give you a new one with a new 4 year g/tee. Nice.
Don't ask me how to kill a battery so it will be replaced. But serious acid loss helps!

Got a Vectra batter in my Spit. and much better than the standard size.  Even if it's been sat outside over-night in the winter I can jump in and crank it with zero choke till the oil warning light is out and still have more than enough left to start her up.  Thinking about it I'm not sure I've ever heard it slow down!

Don't remember the terminals being the other way around - but may have just put the battery in with terminals at the back, not front.  More than enough slack in my leads to reach the terminals without issue.

grahamgooner wrote:
The standard one in my car just can't cope with electric fan, lights, wipers, radio and damp!

Cold starting is fair enough, but if it can't cope with the regular electrics with the engine running, your charging circuit isn't up to the job.
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived