Clutch release bearing carrier.

Nick Jones

My PI engine is being bored and ground.  Soon it will need balancing and I'll have to decide which of my flywheel collection to use.

I'd like to use a spare Vitesse one I have (it's a short-back crank) but that places the clutch fingers 1/2" nearer the engine so I guess I need a longer release bearing carrier.  Is there one from the Triumph range that is already the right length or am I going to have to improvise?

Other options include
The existing one which has been lightened (rather crudely) and has a rather loose fitting starter ring-gear
A standard one
Cough up for a properly done one (my pocket is already well lightened!)

Cheers

Nick

Nick

I would have thought the hydralics might compensate for  the 1/2 inch difference.

Wasn't there a spacer that went behind the flywheel on some cars? If not is it worth geting one made?

a Vitesse flywheel may be a bit light for a 2.5.

Get a standard one lightened to just less than a Mk1 PI flywheel.

Cheers

Colin

Colin,

I think 1/2" is pushing my luck - especially considering the slightly, um, agricultural nature of the release mechanism.

Andy,

Hadn't considered 1850.  Quite possibly I have one of these somewhere..... though locating it might be tricky! Suppose a Vitesse one might be worth a look too? Was also just considering making an extender ring to press fit onto the carrier and accept the release bearing as before - just 1/2" further along.  I did have a Sprint one which is MUCH longer but sold it along with the box it came with.

What I was wondering was whether all the saloon ones are the same of if there are variations.

Cheers

Nick

Archived