Davemate

It was a standard 2ltr mk1
Now that a 2.5 is in place do I just replace all the feeds to coil and dizzy. Would the original system had a ballast resistor thing in place and will it stay there or do I have to remove it for the 2.5 or do I need to fit one

Don't think the 2000 Mk1 would have had a ballast resistor.  The 2.5 might have done, depends where it came from.  

Simple solution, swap coil from 2000  :)  Alternatively, measure the resistance of the primary winding on both coils (across two spade terminals).  If they are the same, you can use either.

Nick

I have a feeling the advance curve is not the same between 2000 MkI and 2500 engines (cam profiles are different - less overlap on the MkIs?) but probably neither are exactly right anyway for modern fuels, esp if you've done any tweaking to head or exhaust.

I'm told most tuners reduce the total mechanical advance (the RR did for mine). I can recommend a rolling-road tuneup - from somebody who knows about these cars - *when* the engine is running okay to start with.

Hello Tony,

there are many variations of distributors between the different 2500 engines, never mind between the 2000 and the 2500. I don't think the curve will be affected greatly by the fuel as that is determined by the internal combustion characteristics of the engine, although it may be advanced or retarded due to the fuel? An engine with poor combustion characteristics will end up needing a lot of total advance and vice versa.

Alec

piman wrote:
I don't think the curve will be affected greatly by the fuel as that is determined by the internal combustion characteristics of the engine, although it may be advanced or retarded due to the fuel?

The characteristics of the fuel make a HUGE difference! It's the fuel that is burning so of course the characteristics of the fuel make a big difference to the speed of burn, and to how much that's affected by in-cylinder pressure. These are the fundamental governing factors of ignition advance - not just the static value but the slope of all the adjustments (mechanical and vacuum advance).

Hello Rob,

the burn speed is a factor but the physical engine characteristics are what determine the curve, if it was simply fuel rate all engines would have the same curve. That is why I said that the curve may need further or less advance depending on the fuel.

Alec

OK, but if you agree that it will affect the advance, why did you say

Quote:
I don't think the curve will be affected greatly
? If the fuel is affecting the burn rate (time) then it's definitely going to have a different amount of effect on advance (angle) at higher RPM than it does at idle.

Hello Rob,

because it will still follow the basic burn characteristic of the engine, e.g. a P.I. will still require less advance than a TC for instance,

The reason I made the comment in the first place is I hear all the time that as the fuel is different then the old curve is valueless, more or less, I still believe that it is a good basis to start from.

Alec

I'm not saying anything about different engines not being different, nor am I saying the original curve is "valueless".

I think we're probably not really in disagreement. It's merely that you're fixated on not throwing out the baseline and it came across as "you don't need to change it", whereas I'm saying that if you need to change the base advance for any reason then you should consider the effects on the curves too. A fuel that burns fast enough to shift the idle advance from, say, 10BTDC to 6BTDC will almost certainly need the 40BTDC at higher speed to become less than 36BTDC - 25BTDC would be a more likely value.

Hello Rod,

whilst not entirely agreeing with your first statement, Lucas distributor total advance can quite easily be changed, either get a different rotor (There is a number stamped on the beak of the rotor in distributor advance degrees), or modify the existing rotor by filing or welding to increase and decrease advance respectively, alternatively a collar can be fitted to the stop pin to decrease advance. Different springs can be fitted but you really need a test rig to determine what the effect is? Also be aware that vacuum units have their own setting, look to see what numbers or on the side, they are minimum vacuum, maximum vacuum and advance at maximum vacuum in engine degrees advance (Twice distributor advance) You can only alter those by replacement. See here:- https://www.britishvacuumunit.com/

The hardest part is actually evaluating the effect of curve and really needs a dynamometer to do properly.

Alec

Thanks Lads
This might be of interest an electronic approach on a budget.
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2007/March/Programmable+Ignition+System+For+Cars%3B+Pt.1
and a simpler approach which doesn't allow advance curve programming but will definitely improve overall performance
http://archive.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_112976/article.html

Ahh I here you ask, why bother when you can buy a simple module to drop in the dizzy??, because this does heaps more, dwell control, coil protection etc.(I'm just assembling and installing this one into the old boy in the next few days)
HTH
Cheers
Rod

Hello Rod,

while swapping the points for an electronic module has certain benefits, if the distributor is worn out then it still won't be right? Also, don't forget even with electronics it still needs the occasional drop of oil to keep it functioning.

Alec

Hi Alec
yes the dizzy must be in good mechanical condition. I can tell you from past experience with these modules that you can reasonably expect a 3-5% increase in fuel economy and some extra power, and given that these kits cost the equivalent of 30 quid here in OZ it's brilliant value.
Cheers
Rod
PS oil? where does that go??

Hello Rod,

on Lucas distributors with an after market electronic switching unit as opposed to a full solid state distributor, remove the rotor arm and add couple of drops onto the securing screw. Ideally lift the base plate and lubricate the weight pivot points also.

Incidentally I tried Google to see if I could find some information on burn rate between 60's petrol and today's but couldn't find any scientific data. I did fine web sites that stated that modern fuel burns much less slowly and that it burns faster! I gave up after a few pages.

Alec

Dave - trial and error!!

Run it with vacuum, then if it starts to pink pull over and remove the pipe (block the carb end though).

It has also been mentioned to me on a few occasions that keeping the vacuum advance is not always conducive, mainly cause on older cars they have stopped working!

Cheers,

Phil