123 ignition experience?

RogerD

Shaun,
The only ”rolling road” I have access to here on the Åland Island is driving repeatedly up a steep hill, trying not to hit a moose in the process... Anyway, I’m afraid that the 123/Tune alone will bring back more power and torque to the old engine than my crappy UJ’s can handle  
/Roger.

Hello! My 123Tune arrived yesterday, and is in place now. Had some problems with the settings at first, since I didn't know that the first point MUST be at 500 Rpm, and the last one MUST be at 8000 Rpm. I thought there was something wrong with it since it would not store my settings... There is not a word in the manual about this 500/8000 Rpm thing! I have not started yet, will do it tomorrow since it is completely dark outdoors now. Seems to be a great thing, good quality except the manual, it sucks! To be continued...

• 1 month later...

Glad to see your 123 prog arrived safe and sound.  I hope to get mine tomorrow.  I have done some searching for maps and only found the one up top here for the 2.5 and one from another member.  i will give you his.  I cant make much sence of the Kpa figures though.  they see to be off the scale a bit..

MK3 to Engine no KE10000

Distr. Delco Remy D200 795 3681

centrifugal adv.

rpm- deg (both crank)

400- 0

1600- 7-11

2400-14-18

3200-16-21

4400-20-24 max

Vacuum adv.

InHg-deg (crank)

2-0°

4-0°-4°

8-6°-10°

13-14°-18°

20-14°-18°

from engine no KE10001 on

distr. Delco Remy D204 799 2127

centrifugal adv

rpm-deg (both crank)

800-0

1200-0.8-4.8

2000-12-16

3000-14-18

4000-16-20

5000-18-22

5600-22

vacuum adv

inHg-deg (crank) in absolute Kpa

3-0° 0.4

5-1°-5° 0.7

7-7°-11° 0.9

8-10°-14° 1.1

I will try a few and play with the timmed tune in my local Tesco car park and let you know any developments.

• 1 year later...

Gents

John Harris - Newbie - 1980 Spitfire 1500, standard, K&N's and extractor manifold.

I fitted a 123 Ignition Tune and thought I would share my program. I started with Rick's as a starting point too.

A couple of things I would add. I went to a lot of trouble to ensure TDC was detected properly and marked up on the timing marks. I fitted the 123 Tune, set the green light and then started the car. I then re timed the ignition at 2000 RPM with a professional strobe so that I could be absolutely sure that timing was accurate and only needed to line up with the TDC mark ( The strobe could have advance dialled into it ). I then checked the rest of the curve, which was too. I did not attempt to set the 123 dynamicly at 800 RPM - too erratic to be confident.

The cars pulls great from low down and goes like a rocket above 2500 rpm. I might yet add one degree to each of 2600, 3200 and 4100.

Carbs fully balance with a professional flow meter .. etc. Lucas sports coil, plug gaps still at 25 Thou.

I hope it helps others.

One other note - I have just had some thrust buttons manufactured in UHMW to Paul Geithner's specification to fit to a new rear spring - I will report in the relevant section as to how I get on.

Picture of the curve attached.

John

I have moved the curve on further, adding 1 degree at 1500 and 2000 rpm, and 0.5 degree above that. At the weekend I will add another 0.5 degree where I added last time. So far better still. No pinking and spark plug colours perfect.

Something I did not say previously, carbs with the necessary needles and springs for K&N Filters, gas analyser readings at idle within spec. Only experimenting with the curve, all other factors remain constant including carbs and mixture settings.

I only ever change one thing at a time, either the curve or the vacuum advance.

I have also attached a spreadsheet of distributer curves, including the 41449 for a 1500 spitfire and most other cars across the triumph range. I am not sure where to post them given the extent of the data. But they must be very helpful to all members.

For most of these curves in the file the advance can be increased considerably. At the time the tolerance levels set had to be high to allow for manufacturing and servicing discrepancies. Even with a 123 Ignition if care is not taken to accurately identify TDC and then accurately measure advance dynamically at say 2000 rpm Vs the advance set then the ignition will be for ever out. A simple Gunson strobe against the timing marker at 850 RPM is not good enough, neither is the static mechanism with the green light. It needs to be done with a professional strobe dialling in advance and showing RPM to be accurate. Once lined up accurately you can play with the curve and vacuum attributes all day long. Set and forget.

Will update again after the latest change.

John