Electronic Ignition.

nang

Since my electrical theory is a bit suspect I thought I'd ask the experts.
About to fit a Pertronix unit to my Cortina. Done this to my Triumphs with no problems but this one states use a 3.0 ohm coil. I thought this coil was for a 12 volt system but the Cortina, like the Triumphs, has a ballast resistor. It also states if a ballast resistor is fitted do not remove it. So do as I have done in the past, use the existing 1.5 ohm coil with the ballast resistor and feed the Pertronix unit with a 12 volt supply or change to a 3 ohm one ?
Thanks
Tony.

nang wrote:
Since my electrical theory is a bit suspect I thought I'd ask the experts.
About to fit a Pertronix unit to my Cortina. Done this to my Triumphs with no problems but this one states use a 3.0 ohm coil. I thought this coil was for a 12 volt system but the Cortina, like the Triumphs, has a ballast resistor. It also states if a ballast resistor is fitted do not remove it. So do as I have done in the past, use the existing 1.5 ohm coil with the ballast resistor and feed the Pertronix unit with a 12 volt supply or change to a 3 ohm one ?
Thanks
Tony.

I reckon you could either safely.  What Pertronix is saying, I think, is that they don't want 8 amps-ish going through the Pertronix, which is what you would have with a 1.5 ohm coil and no ballast resistor. With a ballast resistor in circuit, or with a 3 ohm coil, you'll have about 4 amps which is okay for their product to handle.  When the starter is engaged, and therefore the ballast resistor short-circuited, the voltage drop in the 12v system is quite large and therefore the current in the coil circuit is proportionately lowered during that period to a safe value for that period of time.

Fizzy,
To do that with a ballast you need a 12V feed to the Pertronix that is switched by the ignition switch. The ballast wire remains the feed to the coil SW terminal. The new wire only supplies the electronic unit. The new supply could be taken from the ignition switch end of the ballast wire/resistor.
                                                                                           Cheers,
                                                                                           Paul

• 4 months later...

Hi
I'm no mechanic & I also have a problem with my Beauford kit car!
It is a cortina 1.6 pinto engine with a chopped about wiring loom! With no ballast resistor in anywhere!
I had a accuspark electronic ignition system fitted including coil, but I'm not sure if that should of had a ballast resistor in the kit? Has anyone got any ideas as I have problems restarting the engine after its hot??
Any help much appreciated? In lay mans terms please!! Lol