Indicator Switch is not switching off

MichelvdM

Gentlemen,

I have a Mountney steering wheel on my late 1500 Spitfire. During restoration I have taken the steering column apart and replaced all parts that were not in good shape. Also the indicator switch assembly. The car is finished, but I noticed that the indicator switch is not returning to it's rest position.
Maybe I am missing some parts, or the whole column needs to be adjusted?
Can someone help me with this question?

Thanks and regards,
Michel van den Maagdenberg

Michel,

If you turn on the indicator, and then move the black bit around the steering shaft.
Does it switch off then ?

I think the steering wheel is missing 2 pins that move the black bit around and shutting the indicators off ..
Those 2 markings/hols on the steering wheel boss, are they not at the right angle ?

I guess if you drill those a bit deeper and fit 2 pins in those holes you will fix the problem.
Take the plastic capping of and then you can see if the holes would line up. 🙂

Wim

Quoted from WIMPUS
Michel,

If you turn on the indicator, and then move the black bit around the steering shaft.
Does it switch off then ?

I think the steering wheel is missing 2 pins that move the black bit around and shutting the indicators off ..
Those 2 markings/hols on the steering wheel boss, are they not at the right angle ?

I guess if you drill those a bit deeper and fit 2 pins in those holes you will fix the problem.
Take the plastic capping of and then you can see if the holes would line up. 🙂

Wim

Hi Wim, thanks for the quick response.

Indeed, I also had the assumption those holes are there for a reason  
Unfortunately the hub has been delivered with pins inserted.

Best regards,
Michel

There should be at least one spiral (roll) pin in one of the blind holes that locates into the plastic collar on the steering column. You will need to measure the diameter of the hole and also determine how long the pin needs to be, they can always be cut down to suit.