Another oil pressure question

Paul S

ok folks, those of you who have oil pressure gauges fitted on your slant 4s, what sort of oil pressure do you see??

I only ask as I retired from the last event  on the third section when the warning light flickered at me at about 700 rpm..Popped the pump off last weekend, and it was heavily scored, so swapped that for a better one, and have now hooked up a pressure gauge (sadly didn't have one before!)..I now seem to get about 45 psi at idle when cold, dropping off to about 20 psi at idle when warm/hot (currently sat on drive awaiting new alternator so can't go for a play)...I ran the engine for a good 45 mins including sustained high revs..(my neighbours love me!) and let the water temp go a little on the warm side to try and heat the oil up a bit more.... so then once hot, it was 20psi at idle, and going up to about 50 psi at approx 2500/3000 rpm .. I'm hoping to source an oil cooler before the next event, and am hoping it was a combination of hot oil and a dodgy pump that caused the issue...Now I'm wondering if I need to change the shells before the next event, ordinarily I would anyway, but I'm rather short on time at the mo...

What do folk reckon?

p.s. It's a standard sprint engine with no oil cooler at the mo..

I do have an oil pressure gauge fitted with a psi and Bar scale. 20psi seems a bit lowish though ??) I'll give you the readings off 't Kreng as soon as possible.
I am not sure but I believe 't Kreng has an oil pressure on idle when hot of about '40-45 psi (engine done 80.000 km).
I'll try to check it in the morning

Paul

Put those spanners away.  The position is not as bad as you think.  Theo has an exceptional car and the thread has not discussed the oils in use.  My 8v engine is a bit tired at 100K miles, but it is smooth and does not make noises.  It is filled with 20w50 synthetic, has a hot idle pressure of 25psi and a normal running pressure of 38 psi.  It has an oil cooler. I'd be happy to do the RBRR in it.

By all means fit an oil cooler, but they aren't really necessary for the RBRR, but don't risk fitting new main bearings this close to the start. What oil do you have in it?

Chris

well... it's running a 15W/40 Castrol gtx at the moment, which I know is a little light.. However...already got the sump off, and the big ends all look good, bar no3 which has some scoring, crank journals are spot on thought...just about to take the main caps off....

p.s. for info the car's used for competition hence the oil cooler need!  ;)

Well my car's engine has covered over 80.000 km now and has always run on "normal" 20W50 (Comma). I do have an oil cooler though.
And I have to admit that the readings from the pressure gauge have dropped slightly over the past years so there is some light wear on my bearings.

Quote:
the warning light flickered at me at about 700 rpm

Workshop manual says that the light should switch off between 3 and 5 psi  :o

Well...I've now had the bottom end apart...and it all looks remarkably good...some marks on No 3 big end shells, and a little on No2 main, but other than that the bottom end seems ok...the big ends (1,2,4) look particularly good...so I do wonder if it was mostly down to the pump being heavily scored and the oil getting so hot..I'll change the shells whilst it's all apart anyway, will be interesting to see what the pressure's like after...

p.s. the crank journals are all ok..

p.p.s. I was once told the pressure relief valve was set at 43psi...is this not the case then?!

You got me in doubt now  :-/
Had a look in my "archive", I have a standard oilpump on the engine (at least it should be).
When I look in the Triumph Tune Perfomance manual it says that the uprated pressure relief valve opens at 60 psi. So might just be that my gauge is a bit optimistic  ::)

If I were you I would start with changing to a decent 20W50 oil along with the oilcooler

[quote by=Paul_S link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1158949158,s=7 date=1159123802]Well...I've now had the bottom end apart...and it all looks remarkably good...some  ... I was once told the pressure relief valve was set at 43psi...is this not the case then?![/quote]

And check the free length of the relief valve spring ...

• 6 months later...

Hello chaps

My tr7 shed seems to be suffering similar, the engine has been idle for 14 years! I drove it back the 250 miles to get it home (which was an eventfull journey!) by the time I got home oil light filckering at around 700 rpm,changed oil and filter - sorry sludge and filter- put in Duckhams 20-50 seemed to cure problem (also replaced pressure switch) just had it ticking over for half an hour so on the drive to balance carbs set timing etc and noticed flicker again, so what would you recommend? this engine is  just to hack me a round 5,000 miles or so for some summer fun etc,it rattles about a bit but I have had worse!
My thinking was another oil flush ,filter change is there an additive worth throwing it to help things out?
Or should I change oil pump,drop sump and change shells etc, if I do that what are my cheapest/quickest options anybody got the  bits in the shed?!-I have a spare six pot in the shed....!!!!

[quote by=beans link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1158949158,s=2 date=1159002046]My engine when hot has a pressure on idle off ± 35-45 psi (2,5 - 3 Bar)
Maximum pressure ±70 psi (5 Bar)
I have a mechanical Smith oil gauge (for what it's worth)[/quote]

Yep, that's spot on what my Sprint engine runs at as well...  Can't be that bad then !!! ;D

Well gave it another flush and oil change ,added some WYNs goo and some Millers 20-50 and we now have some accetable oil pressure,well acceptable for a shed with 90,000miles on it! its got about  20 psi hot tick over going up to nearly 40 psi hot running (above 1500 rpm,) which as I am of the shed school of thought  "it will bloody do untill the engine blows up!"

Sounds ok.  There is always EP90 as a backup or one of the crazy thick gearoils we use in pump g/boxes.........  EP90 does smell good when it's being burnt though!

If you can be bothered the oil pump and relief valve are pretty accessible and the relief valve can be troublesome.

Nick

Archived