bob dunn

2hour trip to club meets down empty M6 and M4 from Galway to Dublin. Speed limit is 120 kpm .Then 2 to 4 hrs driving round the east coast .Then 2hours to get home . So 8hrs of high speed driving one day a month. Got the little adaptor "3/8 to 1/2" and got the oil pipes remade at my local hardware yard ,this stuff is std  for tractors.(old pipes were dated 1971).

Hello Bob,

I fitted an oil cooler and oil temperature gauge to my 2.5 P.I. saloon and the latter proved that the former was not needed even driving hard on the hottest day. Surely your Spitfire won't work the engine as hard as a saloon?

Alec

I have an oil temp gauge and a very variable climate here in Perth - cool in winter and very hot in summer. My track car only needs its oil cooler on the track - where its oil temp very rapidly climbs to 110 even with a 25 row cooler. I find constant use over 4000rpm is what makes oil hot - how many road cars regularly stay over 4000?

None of my pure road cars have a cooler - just good quality Penrite oil - 15/50 in winter and 15/60 in summer

Marginal on most Triumphs I suspect, though the 1500 really does need it!

My 1300 spitfire was fine without it, however I found the 1500 in standard tune often pushed the oil temps up, though it died before I got round to fitting one.

I have one fitted to the 2000 (Mk1) and I have noticed it gets used, but then I do push my cars!! Though maybe if I fitted a rev gauge to it I might not rev it as high…………………………

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

most oil coolers are after the oil pump so run at system pressure,even with a thermostat fitted the entire system is under the same pressure but the oil takes the path of least resistance until the stat closes(reverse operation to that of the coolant system) the bypass so diverting oil to the radiator.

I expect you could have a system running at atmospheric but it would be a total loss system whereby it would bleed oil from the main gallery through the cooler and back into the sump,but why would you want to do that? I can't really see any benefits of it only downsides,if that is what you meant

The proposed layout is above ^ it was designed for a MK3 GT6 ,it takes oil from the top of the filter bowl runs it through the oil cooler and back into the side of the block ,to drain back into the sump. I got this " rare filter bowl new from Mike Dolphin and really like the look of it on the car .My problem is ,I don,t know how it works , or if it is just a bad idea or needs a little help.

I'm quite sure the hole I referred to is in the pressure system - in fact it's where the oil filter outlet joins the main gallery. I know this because the plug on my Vitesse's new block had been dissolved away by the dip that the machine shop used to clean the block up, so I had to replace it. That's why it seemed a good candidate

(I may have misspoken on the pressure switch - it's the plug below it that's pre-filter. However, both of those are small, whereas I think you want a nice high volume big hole for the oil cooler return.)