transmisison oil - should I change it?

Sam C

Hi all

I've not long had my GT 6 (3 months) and I thought it would be sensible to change the transmission oil.

However, I've noticed that the workshop manual says that you don't need to do this with later models - which mine is.

Is this something that you MUSTN'T do or just something that you NEEDN'T do?

I'm at least going to need to top it up because it's leaking a bit of oil so I thought I'd drain it and see how much was still in there, and the state of it, to get a feel for how bad the leak is / the state of my gearbox is.

Was going to use 75w-80 GL4 transmission oil by the way (tell me if that's wrong but the gear change can sometimes be a bit stiff so I thought that slightly lighter would be better?)

Quote:
However, I've noticed that the workshop manual says that you don't need to do this with later models

They put stuff like in a lot of later manuals to make it look as through the cars were maintenance free...  ;D

You certain can change it and it's a very sensible thing to do with a car you've just bought. If nothing else after you've changed it you know for certain what's in there  :D

Not sure about 75w-80 though. I'd stick with 80w-90 GL4 personally.

Always a good idea to go through all fluids and replace with known good stuff, likewise filters, when you buy a "new" car. That way at least you know where you're starting from. Unless you can see clean oil on the dipstick/filler and clean new filters then don't ever take anyone's word for it "Yeah I've just serviced it" is so easy and cheap to say when selling a car! Personally I always say the opposite "Could do with an oil and filter change now" unless like the Sixfire you see a receipt for a partial engine rebuild inc oil and filters dated less than a week ago :-)

I do both the engine and gearbox at the same time, you can see and feel how you have been treating the car by the colour and feel of the oil.  I used the 80-90 until I found a supplier of 90.

This is something you OUGHT to do; replace the fluid in the transmission & differential.

Lubricant spec:  EP90 GL4 gear oil.  Be sure it's GL4.

It's also what's used to oil the trunnions, so you can do all the paranoid pieces at once.

Keep them very happy & spoiled.

Archived