Tom2000

Here  http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/images/14a.gif
and here  http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/images/73a.gif

The gearbox should be filled with the car level and only until it begins dripping back out. Have fun!

Gearbox oil - EP 90 or engine oil. I think they started to state engine oil just before your 1500 was built?

Get the oil warm before you drain it so it's thinner.

And don't forget to change the oil filter. and whilst you're there check the oil level in the diff., oil the trunnions and then grease the rear. You may as well whilst you're covered in shit.

Definitely, but you'll need to sacrifice a cockerel as well.
Walk three times around the car, AGAINST THE SUN, to make sure.
And always pull on the wrench with FINGERS CROSSED!

You know it makes sense.

Nhoj
(The Mighty Goat-Horned Thing, Spellcaster -In-Chief, Zombie Lord)

After warming it up a bit, I also think since you don't know the condition of the oil in there now, it would be best to get a suction gun & suck out all the old oil in the transmission & differential.  Then fill with new oil, instead of just topping up whatever goo is in there now.

Tom2000 wrote:
Sump plug seems to be a hex bolt of some sort, anyway of getting this out without having to go buy a hex set?

I don't think you'd have to buy a whole hex set, just one specific for what you need.
Marie Laveau's in New Orleans does custom work, and will probably ship overseas.

It's ok think it's 10mm hex, i'll find one locally and get it out instead of going to the effort of going abroad for one..

so do u have to use a suction gun to remove the transmission/diff oil, you can't drain it?

Also i've brought GL4 80W90 gear oil is this ok? I know I read somewhere to never use GL5, what oil should i use for the transmission & diff?

Tom - you might want to get yourself a manual that will detail all the simple routine service jobs for you. If you can find a factory workshop manual then that would be even better as it's more detailled. Where in the world are you?

heraldcoupe wrote:
Whoosh......

I take it from this your previous post was either sarcastic or taking the piss?

- Either way I can't tell as it's on the net and 2nd of all whilst i've serviced many other cars i've not done any model of spitfire and whilst i'm sure i could figure it out myself i figured whats the harm in asking?

I have a haynes manual & a workshop manual somewhere.. just can't find em and figured it would be easier/quicker to ask u lot apologies for the inconvenience! (thanks tho Tiggrr1!)

Lighten up, trust me it was funny - "hex" as in a curse, or voodoo rather than hexagonal wrench :-)

The "Whoosh" was as the joke went over your head - don't take it to heart, the humour here is often way over my head!

Could be worse Tom2000, you could own an M*B!!  Never mind the hex and curse, you keep asking questions, it keeps everyone in touch with their first Triumph and their first black fingernail. You know, the one that took you to A+E to have it punctured with a red hot paper clip...no? Happened to me drifting the gearbox mainshaft from its bearing......my eyes water even 30 odd years later  :'(

Tom,I'm a newbie here, rebuilding an orphaned 64 , which is all that prevented me from answering which rear end bits needed to be greased in graphic detail.
Nice tag on the voodoo hex, I was peeing meself

Tom2000 wrote:
so do u have to use a suction gun to remove the transmission/diff oil, you can't drain it?

No, there are no drain plugs & you must use a suction gun to suck it out through the filler hole.  Or a straw.

Tom2000 wrote:
1980 1500 Spitfire - My beautiful lucy

Hey, you've got a song for your car:  "I Love Lucy" by Albert King
http://www.amazon.com/King-Blues-Guitar-Albert/dp/B000002I7H/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214566499&sr=1-4

Archived