What Oil To Use

jjferreira

hypoid53 wrote:
Colin, That Makro price for GTX is pretty good:is that Trade only being a cash & carry or can we normal folk buy it for that?

As long as you have a Makro card, you can get it - a mate of mine was turned away last Friday as he didn't have a valid card, but they would have given him a day pass if he hadn't burned his boats by telling them what he thought of them in advance....
I don't know how the day passes work, but I've never gone near them without my own card.

There are remedies that you can add to the oil, like Stop-Leak, they supposedly make the oil seals swell and supposedly stop leaks, but these can be at best a temporary repair and I'd prefer to replace the seals or gaskets. There are also additives like Slick 50 to supposedly protect the engine via the oil, but a good oil should stand alone.

Yes, we have the Castrol GTX high mileage here in the UK. I've used it and can honestly say that it reduced smoke on start up. So perhaps the theory that seals can be rejuvenated is true. I wasn't using much oil, but was getting embarrassed by blue smoke when leaving for work in the morning.
Rich  ;)

It will do for topups

but you really are better off with 20/50 it will give you better oil pressure when hot.

I myself am going to try DaveKents suggestion of Millers 10/60

It should give the best of both worlds as it's thinner to aid startup on cold mornings (the 10 in the designation)

and thicker at temperature to give a better oil pressure with a hot hard running engine ( the 60 in the designation)

I know that is an over simplification before all you clever buggers out there get on my case as there are all sorts of additives and specs to consider too  ;)

Archived