Petrol in with the oil

FloydP

Getting in through the fuel pump would be the first place to look...not sure where to look after that!

Sounds like too much to be explained by fuel washing down the bores, unless a carb is siphoning it somehow.

I have read that having petrol in the oil is quite a dangerous thing - not sure exactly how much needs to be  mixed to get properly dangerous, but sounds like you're not leaving it that way!

Vitesse2l wrote:

I have read that having petrol in the oil is quite a dangerous thing - not sure exactly how much needs to be  mixed to get properly dangerous, but sounds like you're not leaving it that way!

But even if not dangerous, it's not good for the engine as petrol breaks down the oil so the lubrication affect must be affected?

I'm pleased to say I don't think either of the above has happened, the car only travelled about 5 miles to the mot station and back. The car had been of the road for a couple of months whilst I put an od gearbox/prop/diff in and I think whilst sat idle the fuel pump diaphragm perished and started pumping fuel into the sump when it was re-awoken.
New oil and filter fitted, hopefully the new diaphragm from canleys should arrive today, so fingers crossed I'm all sorted now and ready for the RBRR.
Cheers,
Floyd.

Seems to so far, a little slow to engage but I've not been far enough for the oil to warm up and apparently the `d' type is slower than the ` j' that I'm used to on the stag. New diff seems fine to with no noticeable whine.
The next problem I've got is the fuel pipe union nut that goes into the pump has cross threaded so I'm going to need another, can't find one locally and as were away soon I'll have to wait until after my hols before I order one.
Cheers,
Floyd

I once heard the story (can't remember where, maybe here?) of a lady filling her beetle up by lifting the bonnet. When someone pointed out she was filling the coolant system she seemed not to like the input. That person quickly left the station!

When I was in the Navy....................

We used to test the diesel generators weekly for fuel in the oil, concentrations above 5% warranted an oil change due to the danger of a crankcase explosion. Apparently they go with a bang and the sump pan blowing off would be the least of your problems!

Archived