jojo

hi just fitted an engine (unknown) into my mk 4 spitty was very smoky (white/blue) on start up and running just compression tested it no 1 cylinder has 0 compression, put a wee drop oil down and no difference stil 0 any ideas would be appreciated

You'll need to take the head off and remove the offending valve, which may be bent causing the sticking (why?)
The valve guides then come out in the direction of the combustion chamber by drifting or pressing them out, usually tap out with a hammer and suitable drift/punch/socket or whatever you have to hand to abuse it with ;)

Refit is the reverse of removal but much more carefully

Guides are simply a press fit.  They can be bashed out (upwards) with a suitable drift but I'd recommend pressing them in and they often need reaming afterwards to ensure correct fit with the valve stem.  Check the pushrod is not bent (by rolling on a flat surface) as if the valve was tight enough to move the guide, the pushrod may have suffered in the process.

Guide is meant to be a much tighter fit in the head than the valve is in the guide - though a rusty valve can sometimes defeat this after a long period stood idle.....

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Update to above removed head and replaced with the one from original engine after a wee de coke all back together BUT STILL got plumes of blue smelly smoke coming out the exhaust engine seem to be running ok but the amount of smoke looks like th things on fire HELP and ADVICE please  :(

I take it you don't have one of those external oil feed pipes fitted?  Is the fuel reasonably recent and free from 2 stroke oil mix or diesel - they can cause smoke - especially a bit of diesel.......

Otherwise possibly stuck rings.  Try putting a couple of tablespoonfulls of ATF in each cylinder (Through plug-holes - easier to use a syringe!) while the engine is still warm then leaving overnight or even a few days.  It will SMOKE when first started but may clear if the rings free off.  Just keep it running until properly warm (20 minutes at least) and see if the smoke reduces.

Good luck

Nick

Blue smoke -oil burning
White -water vapour

If you have blue smoke then oil is being burt. Oil can only be burnt if it gets into the bore.
It either comes up past the rings,goes down the inlet valve or is in the fuel
This is presuming the head gasket is sound

If you have had new guides fitted that should have elimatated oil running down the inlet valve.

jojo wrote:
not 10 min , no the street looks like its on fire it does get worse when you rev it it really looks like a 2 stroke , compression seem ok though arggg

Going by that statement, I would drain all the fuel from the tank and carbs then put fresh clean fuel in. As Nick said you could have bad fuel. If things are no better after that you can always put the old fuel back in the tank.

Have you redone a compression test ?

Sheer amount of smokes suggests to me to look elsewhere.  I once fitted a 13/60 engine that had been stored outdoors, but covered over for years.  Fitting it wasn't the original plan but fate was playing with me.......

Anyway, this thing had virtually nil compression on all cylinders and could only be started with plenty of oil in the bores and 24v to the starter.  When it did start there was initially alot of smoke as the oil I'd put in burned off but very little after 30 seconds or so.  It needed about half throttle to maintain a fast idle and the breather was puffing like mad so there was plenty of gas passing the rings!  Once it warmed up the rings started to free off and I had to keep backing the throttle off to stop the revs rising.  The plumes from the breather slowed dramatically.  After about 30 minutes it would idle normally with a normal level of throttle opening.  At no point after the initial oil burnt off did it smoke as described.

I've also seen the remains of a Spit 1500 engine where one piston had the rings literally in bits with the land between them all broken up.  That used to blow oil out of every orifice and chuff like crazy out of the breather - but it didn't smoke much from the exhaust.

Dodgy fuel has got to be a strong possibility - unless the car has a brake servo fitted and it sucking the fluid out of that?

Nick