Covid anyone?

Tim Hunt

Sue and I did what we thought the responsible thing and both took lateral flow tests with -ve results before leaving for the Dinner on 12th March.  We have both now tested +ve, although our symptoms are no worse than those of a bad cold. I was pleased to find that all our companions from table #6 are in the clear, but have heard of several other people that have tested +ve after attending the Dinner. Frankly I thought it crazy that the government's guidelines were recently relaxed such that one is no longer bound to self isolate following a +ve lateral flow test result. I have no doubt that this has been a major factor contributing to the recent surge in the infection rate. Ironically, as I am >75 I received an email today inviting me  to book my spring booster dose of vaccine. Now that I have tested +ve I will have to wait an additional 4 weeks for this but, hopefully, the recent infection will have boosted my antibodies.

Tim

Yep same here Tim, Tested on the Saturday to be responsible before leaving and was negative.  I started feeling rough on Wednesday so tested and was still negative, however by Saturday I was feeling even worse so tested again and was positive too. I know Ferny also went down with it and also my RBRR Co-Driver Glyn and his wife Ann-Marie. I guess with the infection rate being 1 in 20 of the population at the moment it was to be expected that there would be some covid spread amongst a room of 120 people. It may even have been hotel staff, after all they probably can't afford to isolate if they catch covid being on crap wages and probably no sick pay for isolating.

I was particularly peed off to go down with it on Saturday as it was my birthday on the Sunday and we had meals out with family visitors booked on Saturday night and Sunday lunchtime that had to be cancelled. My last 3 birthdays have now been ruined by Covid as we were in lockdown for the previous 2.

Edited by cook1e

18 minutes ago, cook1e said:

I was particularly peed off to go down with it on Saturday

A mate of mine plays keyboard in a band. They had their first gig in two years scheduled for Saturday, and I was going to help with the sound mix. He went down with Covid on Thursday so it all got cancelled.

It's not over. We need to keep being careful, whatever those idiots in government want to believe.

• Like 2

Tim and Andy as you know myself and Andrew tested positive after the Club dinner with myself first followed by Andrew. We too thought we were doing the responsible thing and took a LFT which was negative.

We both are particularly peeved as this is the first time we have mixed with a number of people in a social setting for a long time, therefore had to miss the NEC restoration show, also Andrew has had to cancel blood tests for this Tuesday so another wait.  Also myself I cancelled two really important hospital appointments for this week one being treatment I have every three months.

We both had a lovely evening and it was great to be at the event but as Rob has said its not over and we need to be careful.

Hi Folks,

may I ask a question?

Please do not think of me as a loony and cause a row etc.

This is simply to puts some pegs in holes for gathering info.

Do or did any of you take Vitamin D3 supplements during the last two or more years>

And if so what was your dose?

PM me if you also do not want to appear as a Loon

Roger

26 minutes ago, Hogie said:

Do or did any of you take Vitamin D3 supplements

No, I didn't. I'm not convinced by the science on them. I've never had Covid myself (well, other than a possible case before anyone had ever heard of it, in January 2020, but that probably wasn't).

I doubt you'll get enough responses to form a statistically significant set.

yep, been taking it for over 2 years. 10000iu, hefty but I often forget it....

I know of a few people who have had blood tests and been told their vitD levels are too low even by UK standards. And as they are cheap, harmless and there is some evidence (admittedly a bit sketchy, but as it is cheap/low profit there is no incentive to conduct expensive testing) to suggest it can be helpful, and at the very least the UK govt guideline levels for vitD should be noted.

A brief article in the British Beekeepers Association News (the ‘trade’ mag) last year said that researchers had found that honey is shown to kill the virus in peoples noses and throats! Honey is naturally anti-bacterial anti-septic, etc., etc..

Another more recent report in the same magazine reported that the BBKA had purchased samples of honey from 13 major UK supermarkets and sent them to Germany for testing for fake honey (we don’t have the equipment sensitive enough). Every sample was shown to contain fake honey, it originates from China! The Chinese equivalent of ebay (alibaba or something like) lists the chemical for sale to make fake honey!  The USA take a firm line over fake honey and have destroyed thousands of tons.

Again, same magazine source reported that a large proportion of Manuka honey on sale world wide is fake.

Honey labelling and its source of origin is useless in this country, politicians again.

Yes, I am a beekeeper and as far as I know, I haven't had the plague (covid), my daughter worked in a supermarket through the lock-downs and she didn't get, she drinks honey (ours) and lemon. 

10 minutes ago, standardthread said:

samples of honey from 13 major UK supermarkets and sent them to Germany for testing for fake honey (we don’t have the equipment sensitive enough).

Yes, testing honey to check what it is made off and where it comes from isn't easy. There are problems here in France as well. some people try and pass off low quality as high quality, bio etc. The equivalent of the weights and measures dept. here can test honey to detect chemical composition and also the type of flowers the bees collect the nectar from. The fake stuff shows up easily when honey claimed to be French 'mille fleurs bio' shows it has come from flowers not found in France, or even Europe for that matter.

Only medical study I've read which I can comfortably agree with states that people who stopped consuming all fluids before 2019 have found it impossible to be infected with Covid and most other illnesses. 

And the only side effect noticed was the possibility of fatality dying. But that could only happen once. 

I have been taking 2000i.u.Vitamin D3 capsules daily for the past 18 months in the hope that, if I became infected, my enhanced immune system might help me avoid hospitalisation or worse, after all I could see no real downside. I tested +ve again yesterday but my symptoms have mostly gone and I expect to be back to normal in a few days.

Tim  

• Like 1

Currently dodged a few bullets having shielded from early February 2019 but have had skin cancer removed from side of head so recommend factor 50 when your roof is down!But how about getting out there on the Honey Trail and support our local proper suppliers nothing better than local Honey! Especially if it’s been found on route to a good inn.I did venture out with a mate to collect a bulkhead from a knowledgable man from Near Leeds he had a very nice Standard and Dolomite.

My wife bought a vitamin d throat spray as a hopeful form of defence against COVID.

Unfortunately she woke up one morning reached over to the bed side table and sprayed her spectacle cleaner in her throat instead! 

Don’t think the vit d, or the cleaner, helped with the COVID as she’s had it twice now and has partially lost her sense of taste and smell.  

Made me laugh though! 😂

• Like 1

I knew I should have left this chat alone as After all this time shielding Myself and daughters have all got the Covalitis! I don’t know how my wife is dodging it as we both have to care for one daughter full time mind you I don’t recall seeing her reflection in the mirror!