Alternator convertion Q

Davemate

Dave

Firstly, please do not just hack the connectors off the ends and twish them together, or insert the butchered ends into a chocolate block connector.

Please! :-)

What does look really professional is to gut the control box and solder in some copper strip or heavy wire connecting the terminals together. Looks original but doesn't do anything!

Also means a quick conversion back to dynamo is ever required, just fit a spare control box.

Wires are the same as a Herald, just yours are very dirty.

Black is no longer required.
Connect thin brown/yellow to thin brown green
Connect heavy wires together, one is brown the other brown/yellow.

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:
Connect heavy wires together, one is brown the other brown/yellow.

Bear in mind that on a 2000 all the current will go through the ammeter on the dash. If you are just fitting a normal Lucas alternator ACR15-17 that should be ok.

If you are going for a 55 or 65 amp jobbie consider putting another thick wire in parallel straight to the battery.

Colin
   I am in the process  ;)

The
Two on the left are linked ---the two fat wires have a home
The next single small one ---leave it alone
The one small and one large --- I will make the big terminal small so the two thin wires can go there
The last one ---leave it alone
I will tuck the single black wire into the covered box with some tape over the end so it can't short out.

Richard_B wrote:

If you are going for a 55 or 65 amp jobbie consider putting another thick wire in parallel straight to the battery.

Not sure what I got  :-/
Do you mean putting a thick wire from the spare large terminal on the alternator and put it straight to the + on the battery

At the alternator end I just put the small wire to the small terminal and the large wire to one of the large terminal

1344 wrote:
Do you mean putting a thick wire from the spare large terminal on the alternator and put it straight to the + on the battery

Yes

Rough idea of the power.

15ACR 28 amp  Spitfire MkIV
16ACR 34 amp  Dolomite / 2000 MkII
17ACR 36 amp  2.5PI / 2.5S
18ACR 43 amp  Stag / Jaguars etc

all done except for running a wire from the large terminal of the alternator straight to the battery.
charge light now goes off when the car is running and the amp thing on the dash shows its charging.
on a normal/slow ish tick over the light is flicking on but as soon as the revs are raised by even a few the light goes out instantly