alternator conversion kit 1959 948 herald

Dominic.Eden

I have a 1959 948 Triumph Herald and I was wondering if it would be worth getting a alternator conversion kit for it I will be fitting a new stereo a sub-woofer a cigarette lighter and possibly a halogen light conversion kit.

At the moment I have a standard dynamo fitted.

Please get back to me with suggestion on what i should do?

Dom

Use it first and then decide. Plenty of people ruin cars and make them unusable/unsaleable because they've changed them before appreciating how they drive in standard form.
I've lived with numerous 948s and while they're perfectly suitable for town use, they're low geared with a maximum usable cruising speed no more than 60mph. The alternator doesn't make energy, it converts a proportion of the engine's output power into an electrical charge. More power required to drive the car's electrical accessories means less power available to drive the wheels.

Cheers,
Bill.

Not so cheap, but have you seen these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200898484354?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

45amp Alternator that looks just like the original Dynamo.

I haven't tried one myself as I haven't actually bought a Herald yet, but I'd be tempted if I get one that's not been modified already. All my current cars are fitted with OEM alternators.

Johnny.

Looking for a running 13/60 Estate.

..I'm with you, Bill & Mark - 1959 cars must be incredibly scarce, these days, & I feel it should be kept original for posterity..........They are rather more of a collectors car, perhaps, than the later, more numerous ones...
(I wonder if a '59 barn-find Herald will ever fetch the 40k+ that a '59 Mini, in that condition, did at auction a couple of years, or so ago!!)