More parts buying advice please?

Harveyzone

Hi all,

Having got everything working on my Spitfire 1500, and actually being able to drive it again, on a real road, and everything, I have come to the conclusion that I need to do two jobs fairly urgently (amongst the very many!):

• Replace the seat foams/covers (the foam has all but completely disintegrated, and the the cloths are not in great condition).
  • Replace the exhaust (blowing in several places, and probably needs to be completely replaced including manifold.

So, starting with seats: I am told that Park Lane Classics are very good, and do full kits which makes life easier, but I really wanted something like the original stag grain houndstooth covers, and they seem to only do leather or full vinyl. Looking around, houndstooth covers are readily available, but vary considerably in price, and finish (vinyl grain etc). Rimmer's, for example, seem to everything, but not in a kit, and individually priced are nearly double the cost of the Park Lane leather kit. Does anyone have any experience or advice on what to look for, where to buy, and where to avoid?

And exhausts. Currently it is a 4/2/1 twin performance exhaust that is pretty noisy (possibly partly due to the extra holes), no idea on brand etc (over 30 years old since PO). I don't mind a sporty tone, but not after full on 'look-at-me' boy-racer. I am also not wedded to a twin (aesthetically they often seem to look too close together or too far apart to me). So, any recommendations for a decent performance stainless steel exhaust that looks good and isn't too noisy?

cheers,

Tom.

I've recently rebuilt my GT6's seats (well, all but the driver's side base) using the Park Lane kit and can vouch for its quality. Much less scary a job than it might at first appear and the instructions are clear and precise. Not perfect - the kit includes a quantity of hessian which the instructions make no mention of - but good. However, that's for a recliner, non-headrest, vinyl seat. I have no knowledge of houndstooth cloth ones.

My Spitfire is a Mk3 (with a 1500 engine) so I mated the 4-2-1 manifold to a Mk1 GT6 system. That combination is rorty enough without being brash. However, again, it doesn't suit the later models. The standard 1500 rear box is less free-flowing than you might like but the ones that are similar in shape and layout (but with the pipe bends external) might be OK.

+1 for Park Lane, Owen is an awesome dude. No experience of their seat related products but will never spend money with Rimmers if there's an alternative.

I toned my 4:2:1 and twin "wheel barrow" system down by fitting a centre resonator in the long plain pipe between the chassis rails

rkCYJGqMDPx-IeK_NM2KDjQrSbPWPaYJF4ySZZn39vq3YC7u9M2Ioy_krcswB8KaMnN4IixQOuSDnulCGRYdw-efzyfJGFXWlWGKAX77xZkRkyprNsncE3O_PRqqTWOB0VUjls4kITub9fQ5l6HCmlrmDnqXC5fRyvrRy4g3BVATtrYv9p2Orpc4-Uy5UyxHulsER8DdBSg5eXfSn9xctattNT1DE4riuDeYK2ATYNCa_LC2AVHsYK_BXrhncTzpzSRqkwEgtDZaebt4iajP9bUiGKmeNIzJzIfJrXOLmX5mxZ8driTjHCYHTWYctpTFtoLZQ6wtG-zvE9VzjP5yO__3eVgVbcPGEW1AVAmLV3lLjltbMjYZx4_SH1sh8gqNP2WrB17ksxBbK0tsto19OQqx_jpxhuvcbREfDHHK1C3qLZLOQsuXweJCsht46cHJ0i9a4SaxN5fVJljV41zGA7UT_xwNuPS4DDEZiIJhEAGjuqpGvXQAl6AhxndagJOP5EcvQnjDU-5uMpGFrlOq5I-1VTwh5j8cZD5jY5ZOvZxpiebA8jHSokO46t9RoXWBPlculSiuik2baoqCnzPtD-tQ2JsdEHb7f83CZ2zxAmmXUkJbk7Rstn-9K9tjI0bHfJgL9SDeaaxFirWeuDUDIhiOR3mnjJLf2BLlSOZODpyZYcQoVvy19vX7vrTU0OaToDcbrPtZG40CIytUo1Wz5-diH1MSq54PpSEbNQ0DJebfjEPbtzNNerGkhTNKLQ=w370-h657-no?authuser=0

If you want to go down that route the Jetex part number I used was U404500, it's not quiet, but it's more bearable at higher speeds/rpm.

See, now I have a dilemma. Everyone keeps telling me how good Park Lane are, so maybe I should just go for their nice leather kit, but a niggling in the back of my head will always say they should be houndstooth. I suppose what I really want is for Park Lane to do a houndstooth set. Or for them to do a full kit without the covers, and to find someone that does a good quality cover set in houndstooth. 

As for exhausts, you have given me two more options, making it a harder decision 😂. I quite like the idea of a 4/2/1 manifold, and a free flowing back box that looks much like the original ones, but maybe with twin pipes. Is there anything like that available that can be recommended? 

10 minutes ago, glang said:

Have a look at Rimmers, they do SS standard back boxes with either single or double tail pipe. I would have thought the latter would suit you perfectly but sit down to see the price....

Ooo, I do like the look of that one, but £840! Wow. 

Before I even consider it, has anyone here tried it? Can anyone vouch for the quality, performance, or sound that it makes?

I notice that they also sell one called "Phoenix Stainless Steel Sports Exhaust System Single Box Performance Large Bore - Quiet" for £732. Does anyone have any experience of that one, or pictures of how it looks fitted?

Cheers,

Tom.

Re exhaust, try Canleys. They sell a rather nice sports rear box, single outlet that is not a transverse box, but works very well. They also supply a 4 branch manifold. No idea on prices thesedays, and I am too scared to look!

I have a spit, I used foams from park lane, very pleased with them. The covers are all black nylon cord faced from a mk3 GT6. Rather less moist in hot conditions than vinyl, but only from Newtons. Again, not cheap. 

I would go for a leather set in your situation. Probably. 

On the seats, are your covers the original houndstooth, and are they actually torn or just shabby? 

I re-foamed a 1500 recliner seat using a kit from James Paddock. The cover was grubby & creased but in tact, so I hand-washed it carefully in the bath tub while it was off the seat (obviously!). When it all went back together it looked almost brand new, chalk and cheese next to the other seat which I never got round to doing. 

Sorry for the slow reply - it has been a hectic week!

The seats are shabby, and actually not too bad generally, except for a small section of the drivers seat that looks like this:

IMG_20220723_125155.thumb.jpg.c0f111387ad2023b2f7f1b88c7181286.jpg

It looks like a cigarette burn, and a tear along the join which looks like the front and the backing cloth have separated. I don't know how mendable this would be.

For an upholsterer that is an easy repair (have you ever darned a sock).

For the split use a smallish curved needle and pick up on the remnants of the fabric left behind.

Or if you can locate the the holes in the leather go for them.

For the ciggy burn use black thread and as per the sock - darn it.

If you can use a thick upholsterers thread then that will outlast you.

Roger